ISO a cheap reliable horn Bookmark and Share

Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted. If you are Looking to trade an instrument, We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Approximate trade value, Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories)

ISO a cheap reliable horn

Postby ScottBass55 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:58 pm

Hey everyone,

I sadly left the world of tuba and sold my CB50 a few years ago— i don’t play in any big anything anymore (i joined the dark side and became a singer) so i’m just trying to find something i can use for quintet/small ensembles/teaching that’s not gonna be too hefty on my budget cuz i’m in college still. i can work w some quirky instruments so whatever you got, throw at me.
ScottBass55
bugler
bugler

Re: ISO a cheap reliable horn

Postby A_Tubist » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:58 pm

What is your budget my friend?
A_Tubist
bugler
bugler

Postby ScottBass55 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:23 pm

I'm pretty broke so I'm really only trying to go up to 2000 at the most-- I missed the ball on that Schiller someone was selling, but deals go by fast. Its super tough since i want to get a CC horn but if i could find a cheap F or Eb even I'd deal haha
ScottBass55
bugler
bugler

Postby Tubaryan12 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:49 pm

Marzan BBb - 4 rotor, blokepiece du jour
John Packer JP-274 euphonium, Wick SM3X
King 607F, Griego 4 (for now)
Posting and You
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Postby the elephant » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:27 pm

ScottBass55 wrote:I'm pretty broke so I'm really only trying to go up to 2000 at the most-- I missed the ball on that Schiller someone was selling, but deals go by fast. Its super tough since i want to get a CC horn but if i could find a cheap F or Eb even I'd deal haha

For that much (well, maybe about $200 more) you could just get a BRAND NEW 410 from Mack Brass. If a used Schiller (the same horn made by the same people) is acceptable to you then why not just get a new one? Tom or one of his employees unpack, test and clean up these horns prior to shipping them on to their new owners. It is a crap shoot when you buy from Schiller as they drop ship directly from China; no one will test, clean up and adjust your horn when you buy from them, so you get whatever was packed up. Sometimes that is a great horn, and sometimes it is not. Again, it is a crap shoot. Tom ships only horns that are ready to play.

I got one in 2015 and love it. I am shocked that I would say that, but it is true. It has drawbacks, but it plays very well and has very solid intonation. And I play mine at work as one of my main money-making horns in the orchestra.

I have other tubas I prefer over my 410, but it is the most useful and versatile of them all save for my *real* Mirafone 186 CC. (The 410 has a bit better intonation, but the sound is very vanilla, like a Yamaha. I prefer the Mirafone over the 410, but the 410 goes to work almost as often.)

This is a more or less painless way to get back into playing. You can use it while you save up for a better horn, or you can just keep it. I have decided to keep mine for the foreseeable future. Again, it surprises me to say this, but it is the truth nonetheless.

http://www.mackbrass.com/CC_Tuba.php
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby dweston58 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:33 am

I have a Wessex e flat I am selling.....
Contact me for pictures.....
I’m asking 1200.00
Dave Weinstein
Port St. John Florida
dweston58
lurker
lurker

Postby Ltrain » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:49 am

dweston58 wrote:I have a Wessex e flat I am selling.....
Contact me for pictures.....
I’m asking 1200.00

See the WTB forum. I just wrote a sermon to a guy looking for a cheap Eb. #community
Eastman 853 Eb
Custom Conn 36K BBb Sousaphone (Brass Bell)
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Member, Metropolitan Music Community
Founder, L Train Brass Band
Ltrain
3 valves
3 valves

Return to Wanting To Buy/Seeking