ISO a cheap reliable horn Bookmark and Share

No posting restrictions. Post here if seeking to buy music related items.
Forum rules
Reminder: "Go fund me" requests are not allowed and should be reported. All requests will be deleted.

ISO a cheap reliable horn

Postby ScottBass55 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:58 pm

Hey everyone,

I sadly left the world of tuba and sold my CB50 a few years ago— i don’t play in any big anything anymore (i joined the dark side and became a singer) so i’m just trying to find something i can use for quintet/small ensembles/teaching that’s not gonna be too hefty on my budget cuz i’m in college still. i can work w some quirky instruments so whatever you got, throw at me.
ScottBass55
bugler
bugler

Re: ISO a cheap reliable horn

Postby A_Tubist » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:58 pm

What is your budget my friend?
A_Tubist
lurker
lurker

Postby ScottBass55 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:23 pm

I'm pretty broke so I'm really only trying to go up to 2000 at the most-- I missed the ball on that Schiller someone was selling, but deals go by fast. Its super tough since i want to get a CC horn but if i could find a cheap F or Eb even I'd deal haha
ScottBass55
bugler
bugler

Postby Tubaryan12 » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:49 pm

Marzan BBb - 4 rotor, Blokepiece Imperial and Symphony
John Packer JP-274 euphonium, Schilke 52E2
King 607F, Conn Remington (Connstelation)
Posting and You
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Postby the elephant » Sun Apr 07, 2019 6:27 pm

ScottBass55 wrote:I'm pretty broke so I'm really only trying to go up to 2000 at the most-- I missed the ball on that Schiller someone was selling, but deals go by fast. Its super tough since i want to get a CC horn but if i could find a cheap F or Eb even I'd deal haha

For that much (well, maybe about $200 more) you could just get a BRAND NEW 410 from Mack Brass. If a used Schiller (the same horn made by the same people) is acceptable to you then why not just get a new one? Tom or one of his employees unpack, test and clean up these horns prior to shipping them on to their new owners. It is a crap shoot when you buy from Schiller as they drop ship directly from China; no one will test, clean up and adjust your horn when you buy from them, so you get whatever was packed up. Sometimes that is a great horn, and sometimes it is not. Again, it is a crap shoot. Tom ships only horns that are ready to play.

I got one in 2015 and love it. I am shocked that I would say that, but it is true. It has drawbacks, but it plays very well and has very solid intonation. And I play mine at work as one of my main money-making horns in the orchestra.

I have other tubas I prefer over my 410, but it is the most useful and versatile of them all save for my *real* Mirafone 186 CC. (The 410 has a bit better intonation, but the sound is very vanilla, like a Yamaha. I prefer the Mirafone over the 410, but the 410 goes to work almost as often.)

This is a more or less painless way to get back into playing. You can use it while you save up for a better horn, or you can just keep it. I have decided to keep mine for the foreseeable future. Again, it surprises me to say this, but it is the truth nonetheless.

http://www.mackbrass.com/CC_Tuba.php

For all you do, this " target="_blank's for you.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby dweston58 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:33 am

I have a Wessex e flat I am selling.....
Contact me for pictures.....
I’m asking 1200.00
Dave Weinstein
Indialantic,Fl
dweston58
lurker
lurker

Postby Ltrain » Tue Apr 23, 2019 7:49 am

dweston58 wrote:I have a Wessex e flat I am selling.....
Contact me for pictures.....
I’m asking 1200.00

See the WTB forum. I just wrote a sermon to a guy looking for a cheap Eb. #community
Eastman 853 Eb
Custom Conn 36K Sousaphone (26K Brass Bell)
Aguilar Amplification
--------------
Member, Metropolitan Music Community
Founder/Director, L Train Brass Band
Ltrain
bugler
bugler

Return to Wanting To Buy/Seeking