Intonation of C Valve Trombones Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: Intonation of C Valve Trombones

Postby Donn » Fri May 17, 2019 4:06 pm

MaryAnn wrote:Hokay....you have me at "played like a trumpet." I'm also uneducated but have an ear....and this statement is baffling me as I can't figure out what you mean!

I'm thinking of expressive effects that happen purely on air - affecting pitch, tone and volume all at the same time. Where a trombone player might take notes a little differently. The blow on the two instruments follows - valve trombones typically have a very small bore, relative to the slide trombone. Where that's less true, like some of the marching trombones, then it seems they're less obviously distinctive (and can be pretty nice sounding.)
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby djwpe » Sat May 18, 2019 11:52 am

I suspect that the hate for valve trombones comes from two places:

- The rational: “a good trombone can achieve amazing chord intonation and blend by careful slide
adjustments and good ears, and while a valve trombone can be lipped to adjust intonation, it
loses the through-the-center of the pitch sound that can be had with slide adjustments.”
- The irrational “If you want to join the trombone club, you have to go through the same learning
curve that everyone else did.”

Don Winston, back on slides after many years away.
djwpe
bugler
bugler

Postby Donn » Sat May 18, 2019 2:51 pm

If I remember right, in the particular case, it went back to a bad experience with someone who showed up with a valve trombone.

The other slightly more rational side of the second might be "if you weren't willing to go through the learning curve that everyone else was fine with, maybe you don't care all that much about what you're doing."
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Previous

Return to TubeNet