PORTABLE music stand suggestion Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

PORTABLE music stand suggestion

Postby bloke » Fri May 17, 2019 10:44 am

:idea: :arrow: The nice thing about SUGGESTIONS (vs. mandates) is that suggestions may be IGNORED. 8)
Here is a SUGGESTION:

Put emphasis on the word "portable", add the word "quality", purchase a KM101 stand, and be done with it. :|
These are very well-made, and fold up VERY small. No...They don't support a thick leatherette folder with a hundred charts and four etude books, but can't that folder be set underneath the chair (at the venue), and only the 6 pieces of pre-break or pre-intermission tunes be set on the stand?
If you want it to look a bit nicer on stage, take one of those large music-store-promotional paper folders outside (or a piece of lauan thin plywood or thin plexiglass) and rattle-can paint that thin rectangular whatever with flat-black paint. outdoor concert wind...?? Keep a three-holed brick in the trunk of your car...Hey... A good wind can blow a Manhasset over just about as easily as it can a KM101...perhaps more easily, because there's more there to catch the wind. ...and hey: Check out how the 101 has those two top-mounted swivels - to which four-pagers can be clothespinned. 8)
I'd recommend NOT constantly carrying the KM101 (though it folds up tiny) in the side-pouch of your bag, but - rather - storing it underneath the seat of your car. Otherwise, you're constantly needlessly toting around extra weight, while pounding your feet against concrete, and - as humans have discovered - knees only last just so long.
===================================================
an AT HOME stand: sure...Buy (or swipe from your school :roll:) a NON-portable conductor's stand, or those plastic extensions, and empty your file cabinet of sheet music on to it...Stick some huge light on it, a drink-holder, a tuner-holder, a pencil holder, and a three-tuba-mutes holder on it. (no metronome-holder, though...Metronomes are annoying, as they speed up on hard stuff, and slow down on easy stuff. :P )

bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: PORTABLE music stand suggestion

Postby CranstonTuba » Sat May 18, 2019 5:26 pm

I legit love the escalating nature of blokes “Get off my lawn” posts. Over the past 15 years i’ve witnessed, they’ve left the passive aggressive comment realm into the “I’ll make my own post about this” and I’m here from every one.

Bloke, don’t ever change. Unless it’s to be more you.
CranstonTuba
bugler
bugler

Re: PORTABLE music stand suggestion

Postby bloke » Sun May 19, 2019 11:32 am

It just seems to me that these "portable" music stands that
- don't fit in the tuba bag's side pocket
- collapsed, still take up the space of a fireplace log
- even worse: feature non-collapsible desks

Regardless of whether they weigh more or less (surely, most of them: more), most of these marketed-as-portable music stands aren't particularly "portable". I guess I could understand a trumpet-playing community bandsman parking outside of churches' fellowship halls on Tuesday nights and carrying one of those in (smugly showing off their newest Woodwind/Brasswind acquisition to their jealous colleagues) ...but - as those who lug around c. 2' x 4' 33-lbs.-in-the-bag objects already - how much more (whether downtown trekking from the parking garage to the stage door - trying avoiding the aggressive panhandlers and multitasking drivers, or just from the parking place to a church's side door) do any of us really want to be lugging around?

Otherwise, a run-of-the-mill/reliable Manhasset 48 - at least, it seems to me - works just fine for home AND away and has this nice 1"-diameter steel shaft for carrying. :| ...and - if the envy of colleagues remains a goal, they are available in bright colors...and - for the slightly understated personalities - even (apparently...??) puce:

bloke

Return to TubeNet