Marcinkiewicz shank size Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Marcinkiewicz shank size

Postby Kirley » Fri May 17, 2019 7:19 pm

Hey.
I've got a Marcinkiewicz H1 that I bought used from someone here on TubeNet a while back. It's an Oregon made one. I love it. But the shank size is just a bit smaller than I'd like. It fits my older King 2341 fine. But it bottoms out (doesn't seat) on Conn sousaphone bits. Even newer ones that aren't all stretched out yet. It also bottoms out on an old King tuba, maybe from the 20s, that I play at a weekly rehearsal.

I don't see any shank size options on their website. Is it possible they run a tad smaller than American? Do I have an anomaly? I really like it and wish I could use it on my sousaphones and that King but I can't unless I use some teflon tape or some other shimming material, which I'd really rather not have to do.

Anybody else have a similar experience? If I order a new one from them, any chance it'll be different (larger)?

Thanks!
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Marcinkiewicz shank size

Postby Donn » Fri May 17, 2019 8:26 pm

I bought several H series a ways back, probably more than 10 years ago? The shanks are common American size, and there's plenty of shank sticking out from my Conn sousaphone. Schilkes and old Conns tend to be a hair larger, but you'd hardly notice. Someone at Marcinkiewicz could probably speak more definitively to this - if you hear anything interesting from them, let us know!
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby TheGoyWonder » Sat May 18, 2019 2:51 am

It's the conn bit. They don't hold a normal (any??) mouthpiece. They are junk.
You can use Olds bits instead. They work the same as Conn bits: they accept a mouthpiece, and they accept each other. If the gooseneck doesn't accept an Olds bit you can use one Conn bit and one Olds bit.
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Postby Kirley » Sat May 18, 2019 10:53 am

Huh. That’s an interesting idea.
I’ve used probably a dozen different types of mouthpieces with Conn bits. I agree that they’re not the best available but I haven’t had this particular problem.

I will look into an Olds bit, though. Thanks for the tip.
Kirley
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Dan Bradley » Wed May 22, 2019 1:00 pm

I know a lot of west coast players used Marcinkiewicz and also used Mirafones in the 70's. My 1974 Miraphone 186 has a receiver that is slightly smaller than the average American receiver, so regular American shanks stick out a bit farther than is preferable. Apparently, it only had this leadpipe for a year or two. I'm wondering if the Marcinkiewicz that you have might be geared towards that slightly smaller receiver. I have struggled to find mouthpieces that fit just right on this horn.

Dan B.
Dan Bradley
bugler
bugler

Return to TubeNet