Major/Non-maj Scholarship Opportunities at Ohio Northern Bookmark and Share

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results

Major/Non-maj Scholarship Opportunities at Ohio Northern

Postby russiantuba » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:13 am

Hello everyone,

I would like to announce that I have several openings at Ohio Northern University for tuba, euphonium, and bass trombone. We have music talent scholarships or both majors and non majors as well. If you are passionate about another field such engineering or pharmacy and still want to perform in our wonderful bands and study privately, ONU is one of the best collegiate programs to allow you to do that.

ONU offers a Bachelors in Music Education (K-12 certification) and a Bachelor of Arts with a concentration in Applied Studies, Music History & Literature, Music Theory & Composition, and our brand new Sound Recording and Technology path.A highlight on the new Sound Recording and Technology path has study abroad options to Manchester, UK with Salford University as an externship opportunity.

ONU also offers several ensembles, from our Symphony Orchestra, Chamber Winds, Symphonic Band, Jazz Band, Marching Band, several choirs, and on a smaller setting, the low brass ensemble, trombone ensemble, and brass quintets, just to name a few. Our ensembles play music you would expect of a much larger school. The orchestra, for example, has played American in Paris, Pictures at an Exhibition, Dvorak Symphony No. 8, and this term alone is doing the Verdi's Overture to Nabucco and Borodin's Polovtsian Dances.

Our music education program has a near 100% job placement within 6 months of graduation, and university wide, the job and graduate school placement rate is 94% within a year in their field of study. The reason we are able to do this is due to our dedication to the student and to provide opportunities for their growth and education while students.
Just to give a few examples of some of the things my students have been involved in while students--one is a student director of a show choir at a local high school, one teaches private lessons in the area and has helped beginner bands, an alumnus was writing marching band shows for area bands while a student, another alumnus has subbed for the Lima Symphony Orchestra on a couple of occasions, along with several doing band camps across the Midwest. The students are super supportive of one another in the degrees.

ONU is a private university in Ada, OH, about an hour from Toledo and 90 minutes from Columbus. Though we are a private university, we allow for scholarship stacking, meaning you can get a scholarship in one major, and can add a talent scholarship on top or outside scholarships on top. Some students are great at doing this. In fact, I have a student that hasn't paid tuition since his sophomore year due to this (it does take a bit of work, but it is doable).
Not only have ONUs ensembles traveled to England, Germany, and Japan in the recent past to perform and hear top groups, several students carpool to hear world class orchestras such as the Cleveland Orchestra, Cincinnati Symphony, and Chicago Symphony--all are easily travel-able from our location in Ada.

We offer a program where you can shadow a music major for a day and attend classes with them, and we can arrange a lesson while doing such. Audition information can be found at https://www.onu.edu/academics/music" target="_blank and if you have any questions, feel free to message me on here or e-mail at j-green.11@onu.edu" target="_blank.
Dr. James M. Green
Lecturer of Music--Low Brass
Ohio Northern University
Gronitz PF 125
Miraphone 1291CC
russiantuba
pro musician
pro musician

Return to OPPORTUNITIES - education - employment