Tuba Assistantship at Western Michigan University

Announcements for Auditions, competitions, and the results
jcameron
pro musician
pro musician

Tuba Assistantship at Western Michigan University

Post by jcameron »

Western Michigan University has a terrific graduate assistantship in tuba open for the fall of 2020. The application deadline for this assistantship is February 15, 2020.

The GA position at WMU is primarily focused on performance with the Graduate Brass Quintet. The Graduate Brass Quintet is made up entirely of graduate assistants at WMU and performs extensively as a unit and in collaboration with the Western Brass Quintet. In addition, the GA will perform duties for the Tuba and Euphonium studio and other academic areas as skill and need allow. This position is focused on giving the GA real-world teaching and performing experience to enhance future career options.

To apply to WMU, follow this link:

https://wmich.edu/music/academics/grad/assistantships

The brass area at Western Michigan University has a strong tradition of excellent chamber music opportunities and instruction. The Western Brass Quintet just celebrated 50 years of excellence, and has toured all over the United States, Germany, Russia, and China. There are usually 2-4 undergraduate brass quintets in addition to the graduate brass quintet, all of which receive weekly coachings, and numerous performance opportunities throughout each semester. Western has produced professional brass players in major symphony orchestras, premier military bands, and full-time freelancers in major markets like New York City and Seattle. The Western Michigan University Brass Area prides itself on pre-professional training designed to give real-life concert experience coupled with the highest level of applied teaching and guidance.

Thank you for your time and consideration. Please feel free to pass this on to anyone that might be interested in our GA position. Also, don't hesitate to contact me with questions.
Jacob Cameron
Associate Professor of Tuba and Euphonium
Western Michigan University
Principal Tuba, Grand Rapids Symphony
http://www.wmich.edu/music/
https://www.grsymphony.org/
Huffey14
lurker
lurker

Re: Tuba Assistantship at Western Michigan University

Post by Huffey14 »

Hey all, WMU grad here with a little insight into life at Western:

I studied with Dr. Cameron during my bachelor's degree, and the school of music there is really something special. Western is a hidden gem, with top-notch faculty in a smaller, more intimate setting compared to other large universities. As a master's student, there are plenty of performance and teaching opportunities, with local schools and churches often seeking WMU music students for various gigs and lessons, and the GA position teaching the tuba fundamentals class for music education majors.

I also had the opportunity to play with the Graduate Brass Quintet for two semesters, and it was the single most influential musical experience I had in my time at WMU. The brass faculty are experts in the brass quintet medium, and the amount of growth one experiences playing with this ensemble would be quite valuable to someone pursuing a master's degree.

The large ensemble experience is also quite intense, with a great orchestra and a thriving wind program. The Wind Symphony often performs a balance of wind band staples and contemporary music, with new music commissions being a priority of the program. There are also opportunities for large brass ensemble performances with the Western Winds series and the annual Brass Christmas concert.

Hopefully this helps any prospective applicants get a bit more background on the program and the setting. Please feel free to contact Dr. Cameron or me for any questions regarding the position or the school in general. I highly recommend studying here!
Thomas Huffmaster
BM, Western Michigan University '18
MM, University of Wisconsin-Madison '20
PT-6, PT-15
huffmaster@wisc.edu" target="_blank