Jupi-save, with thanks to Ray Noguera Bookmark and Share

Jupi-save, with thanks to Ray Noguera

Postby bloke » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:39 am

With extraordinary generosity, Ray Noguera donated (and shipped at ~HIS~ expense) a set of King 1140-STYLE Chinese bows, so that I could eliminate some epic/ridiculous patches on a school's Jupiter tuba (which is another Chinese copy of the King 1140).

Mixing-and-matching (and paying attention), the job was considerably easier than I had anticipated - particularly as Ray's donated bow-set was all soldered together, the config ended up being darn close to Jupiter's, the denting was minimal, and the spiral of bows - actually (bonus) - is pretty darn shiny!

Since the Jupiter version features a larger valveset bore (.689") than King 1140 or the mainland-China King 1140 copy, I moved the smallest-bore bow over from the Jupiter body (thankfully NOT rotted and NOT patched) over to the resultant instrument as the "transitional" bow. I also found that I needed to "tease" (remove the "hard way" - off the LARGE side) the bell ferrule off the Jupiter bottom bow and "tease" it on to the other Chinese bottom bow for a bit better bell-fitment (rather than resorting "filling" with solder, and - well - avoiding wasting solder).

Anyway...all the slides are nicely aligned, they're all in a nice straight row (nothing skew), and none of the pistons/casings are under tension (SUCCESS !!! 8) ...and only in a couple of hours).

Left to do is a bit of easy bell flare dent removal, and some lacquer touch-up. The school's band director will be amazed...ie. "WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL THOSE PATCHES..!?!?"

From the Chinese body, the smallest bow (which should fit a smaller-bore (.640") King 1140...or a DEG Schafer/Caravelle...or Blessing, and often ends up being red-rot-cracked or crushed) and one other bow are patch-free, and - >> if anyone needs those << - I'm willing to CONUS-ship those two bows at my expense (ie. "pay forward"). Additionally, I'll strive to be a generous person, as is Ray.

bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Re: Jupi-save, with thanks to Ray Noguera

Postby iiipopes » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:29 pm

[Like]
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 & B&H 3-valve comp w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: Jupi-save, with thanks to Ray Noguera

Postby YORK-aholic » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:24 pm

bloke wrote:With extraordinary generosity, Ray Noguera donated (and shipped at ~HIS~ expense) a set of King 1140-STYLE Chinese bows, so that I could eliminate some epic/ridiculous patches on a school's Jupiter tuba (which is another Chinese copy of the King 1140).

Mixing-and-matching (and paying attention), the job was considerably easier than I had anticipated - particularly as Ray's donated bow-set was all soldered together, the config ended up being darn close to Jupiter's, the denting was minimal, and the spiral of bows - actually (bonus) - is pretty darn shiny!

Since the Jupiter version features a larger valveset bore (.689") than King 1140 or the mainland-China King 1140 copy, I moved the smallest-bore bow over from the Jupiter body (thankfully NOT rotted and NOT patched) over to the resultant instrument as the "transitional" bow. I also found that I needed to "tease" (remove the "hard way" - off the LARGE side) the bell ferrule off the Jupiter bottom bow and "tease" it on to the other Chinese bottom bow for a bit better bell-fitment (rather than resorting "filling" with solder, and - well - avoiding wasting solder).

Anyway...all the slides are nicely aligned, they're all in a nice straight row (nothing skew), and none of the pistons/casings are under tension (SUCCESS !!! 8) ...and only in a couple of hours).

Left to do is a bit of easy bell flare dent removal, and some lacquer touch-up. The school's band director will be amazed...ie. "WHAT HAPPENED TO ALL THOSE PATCHES..!?!?"

From the Chinese body, the smallest bow (which should fit a smaller-bore (.640") King 1140...or a DEG Schafer/Caravelle...or Blessing, and often ends up being red-rot-cracked or crushed) and one other bow are patch-free, and - >> if anyone needs those << - I'm willing to CONUS-ship those two bows at my expense (ie. "pay forward"). Additionally, I'll strive to be a generous person, as Ray is.

And the circle of (tuba) life continues...

Ray had/has a Holton 345 that, I seem to remember, semi-survived a hurricane but needed a few valve caps. I sent them over. I’d be interested to see a picture of the completed horn.

This is one of the better things about the internet. I can’t imagine trying to find obscure parts for horns pre-internet.
Some old Yorks, Martins and maybe a rotary King...
YORK-aholic
5 valves
5 valves

Return to Repair, Modification, and Construction