When to stop Buying Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: When to stop Buying

Postby mikebmiller » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:07 am

Charlie C Chowder wrote:Too small for your face? You have not seen some the great trumpets player of the past. Many had big faces, lips and cheeks! Most of there were black as well. It is just training the right muscles.

If you wet my lips, you could stick me to a mirror.
CCC

I bought a trumpet a few years ago and spent about a month over Christmas break trying to play it. Let's just say it wasn't pretty. I could have probably gotten better with more practice, but it was taking away from my bone/euph time, so I ended up selling it. I do envy those folks who can play all the brass instruments well. It seems like it would be easier to go from small to big than the other way around.
mikebmiller
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:27 am

yeah...

Some people have told me that they "need" this/that/the-other because they have big lips.

A friend of mine (an extraordinarily fine oboist) has very large lips...beautiful sound...amazing facility, etc.

I'm pretty sure (and how can anyone be "completely" sure of anything?) that - as long as a player can control their lips - and keep only the amount of edge "into play" that is what is needed - they will have no probably playing any type of wind instrument. Far too many have supported my belief - here - via their success.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby anotherjtm2 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:53 pm

bloke wrote:yeah...

A friend of mine (an extraordinarily fine oboist) has very large lips...beautiful sound...amazing facility, etc.

I had a go with an oboe for a couple of weeks one summer. It was fun, but I hated how I couldn't whistle afterward. Bassoon was a much better fit.
John Morris
- playing modest old tubas in volunteer ensembles (including a vintage BBb 186 for sale)
anotherjtm2
bugler
bugler

Postby nworbekim » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:30 pm

anotherjtm2 wrote:
bloke wrote:yeah...

I had a go with an oboe for a couple of weeks one summer. It was fun, but I hated how I couldn't whistle afterward. Bassoon was a much better fit.

i loved bassoon in methods class... we were playing band pieces and my roommate (percussion major) and i were on bassoon... we had with 8th notes but neither of us were good enough on bassoon to cover the part. i played the down and he played the ups. everyone thought we were great! 8)

i my pucker was never strong enough for oboe.
King 2341 - Mack TU210 - JP179B - Wessex Festivo - King 2280
nworbekim
5 valves
5 valves

Location: I bought a farm in southern Kentucky near Lake Cumberland

Postby MaryAnn » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:51 am

mikebmiller wrote:I just bought a Casio keyboard, although I have no idea how to play it. Never had a piano lesson in my life, but I am starting them next week. I have tried to learn trumpet, but the mp is too small for my face.

Even fat lips can play....if you really want to learn, get the Balanced Embouchure method. It will show you how.

Me....most of my stuff is gone. The stuff I still have, I want it sent to New Mexico State's music department even though I didn't study music there. They could use the help and the school got me my second career. I have no offspring nor family that needs any money.
MaryAnn
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak
Occasionally Visiting Pipsqueak

Postby Ann Reid » Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:30 pm

Having realized that I was born to be a brass player and not the woodwind player who attempted to enter my fingers for a period of time in my youth, I am presently making up for lost time.

I have learned, in my eighth decade, that “...a nice little F tuba....” doesn’t literally mean “LITTLE” and that experimenting with second hand tools can be a GREAT learning experience.

My grandson will have access to a nice meuphonium when he learns to pronounce it, and I have no intention of stopping.
Ann Reid
bugler
bugler

Postby Rick Denney » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:14 pm

In your will or trust, you don't have to name a single executor or trustee. It makes sense to identify a "musical executor" whose job is to dispose of the instruments. My executor (assuming my wife is not available) is a musician, and she knows what to do (and who to call), so I don't have to name a separate musical executor. And my wife knows to call the local radio-club guys, and the GMC Motorhome owners club, and so on.

But most of my stuff? 1-800-Got-Junk. I don't want the instruments disposed of correctly for the sake of my heirs. I want them disposed of properly for the sake of the instruments--most of them are uncommon and, at the least, interesting.

I've seen to many folks decide they were too old to mess with stuff, and get rid of it all in the interest of simplifying their lives. And without anything to mess with, they only messed with the TV remote. That is a grave error. My wife has an uncle who is 88. Instead of checking himself into a retirement community, he hired a former student (he taught airplane mechanics as his third career) to come every day and help him finish the projects he's always starting. He describes his paid helper as his "assisted living". And it's cheaper than long-term care. I think I want to be like him when I grow up.

Rick "who didn't buy the stuff for the next generation" Denney
Last edited by Rick Denney on Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Postby bloke » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:18 pm

VERY odd/coincidental that JUST NOW (after seeing someone on fb griping about having to haul a bunch of stuff off to the dump (as their widowed father has passed away), I was prompted (no, NOT on their timeline...only my OWN) I was prompted to post THIS (below) on fb:

No upbeat/optimistic person plans to die.
I sometimes see adult children complain about hauling off "junk", after a (typically male) widowed parent passes away.
If I didn't have my collection of "junk", I would have to buy expensive new "crap" as components or raw materials to REPAIR things when they (inevitably) break.
yeah...When people get sick (prior to death) they're suddenly too weak to tidy up their physical surroundings and "prepare to die".
Again, I'm not "preparing to die".
Rather, I'm preparing to LIVE.
If one of my children raises their eyebrows regarding the reality of - one day - having to sort through, clear out, and liquidate this place, my response is, "Don't fret over it. Just donate the entire physical estate - house, cars, and all - to the Salvation Army, and let them sort through it. They're professionals, and they do it every day."

:roll:
bloke

Postby humBell » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:33 pm

Another thread i don't have the courage to respond to...
Thanks for playing!
humBell
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:42 pm

humBell wrote:Another thread i don't have the courage to respond to...

congrats !
bloke

Postby ken k » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:21 pm

I am sort of in the opposite situation. Now that I am 60, I am thinking that there are some things I have always said I would get one day. Some dream cars, or motorcycles, bicycles, and tubas as well. I figure i had better get them soon while I can still enjoy them. So, I have decided to sell some things, in order to get some other things....
ken k
Miraphone Norwegian Star Eb
Mirafone 187 BBb
1919 Pan American BBb Helicon
1924 Buescher BBb tuba (Dr. Suessaphone)
2001 Mazda Miata
currently motorcycle-less......whatcha got?
ken k
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Walter Webb » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:07 am

good idea to make a list of informative descriptions, ser #s, and approximate values for each instrument with pics, and list places like Tubenet to sell them, so your heirs will have the slightest idea of what to do with them when you croak. Otherwise, the sharks can move in an make a killing off your well-earned stuff.
Walter Webb
3 valves
3 valves

Location: Somewhere in the boondocks between Sacramento and Reno

Postby roweenie » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:20 am

Walter Webb wrote:good idea to make a list of informative descriptions, ser #s, and approximate values for each instrument with pics, and list places like Tubenet to sell them, so your heirs will have the slightest idea of what to do with them when you croak. Otherwise, the sharks can move in an make a killing off your well-earned stuff.

Excellent idea, and I've been trying, off and on, to do this for quite some time - trouble is I get hung up in the minutiae of how to compile the info.

Is there a computer program that someone could suggest to do this?
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Postby SteveP » Sat Jun 27, 2020 12:36 am

Use an Excel spreadsheet.
Steve
Lake Havasu Regional Orchestra (tuba/board/treasurer)
Lake Havasu Symphonic Winds (board/treasurer)
SteveP
3 valves
3 valves

Postby roweenie » Sat Jun 27, 2020 11:20 am

SteveP wrote:Use an Excel spreadsheet.

Awesome, thanks - I've heard of that, but I've never used that before. Can you add pictures, too?
"Even a broken clock is right twice a day".
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Postby anotherjtm2 » Sat Jun 27, 2020 6:50 pm

roweenie wrote:
SteveP wrote:Use an Excel spreadsheet.

Awesome, thanks - I've heard of that, but I've never used that before. Can you add pictures, too?

You can.
John Morris
- playing modest old tubas in volunteer ensembles (including a vintage BBb 186 for sale)
anotherjtm2
bugler
bugler

Postby tubeast » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:35 am

About the Excel spreadsheet:
Great idea, and very considerate to those left behind:
Sorting through estate may be part of successful grieving. And passing a collection over to appreciating hands rather than garage sale sharks might offer to those in grief a feeling of relief and a notion of honoring the legacy of a passed-away loved-one.

And then there are cases where kids had to put up with an absent mom or dad (or both) in pursuit of their collecting fever, either abroad hunting for new items or sitting in some remote Studio, "No Entry"-sign at the door, appreciating the collection rather than teaching curve balls or how to grow up being a decent and proud person.
(Yes, there are those people, and no, I´m not saying anyone here is)

Years later, these kids are cursed with multi-layer loss:
- Hours and maybe months of cleaning up/throwing away/organising Garage sale.
- Monetary loss due to missing Information what is junk and what is not, and the awareness and frustration of that fact.
- The confirmation (because you already suspected as much) that this JUNK was more important than yourself during the active life of the deceased, so what does that make you?

So in case someone were a collector preparing their farewell, Aware of a situation described above, a good catalogue of that collection and ways to get rid of it might represent a handshake of appreciation to those left behind.
Hans
F: Melton 46 S "Klemens Pröpper"
BBb:
1903 or earlier GLIER Helicon, customized Heinrich Hermuth MP
2009 WILLSON 6400 RZ5, PT50+, customized GEWA 52
MW HoJo 2011 FA, Tilz Spezial / PT50+
tubeast
4 valves
4 valves

Postby MartyNeilan » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:14 am

I don't believe in "collecting" nor do I chose to use my limited resources on collecting. If I know I am going to use it regularly, I have it. Otherwise I don't buy it in the first place, or I sell / trade it. This applies to vehicles, tools, instruments, books, etc.

If not being used regularly, how many -fill in the blank- does one person need?

As a family, we have one sedan, one extended cab pickup, and one motorcycle; my wife insisted on selling hers since her riding days have been put on longerterm hiatus due to birthing, and in her own words she can always get another one when she is ready.

I have a 6/4 frankentuba that now plays extremely well and a 4/4 in the shop that may get sold since it isn't being used all that much right now. I don't currently have an F or a bass trombone because I don't have an immediate need for either.
I traded "down" from a fancy 5 string fanned fret bass to a 4 string G&L that is a very solid instrument and meets all my needs when drop tuned. I may even let that go if it looks like I won't be playing it much anymore, depending on how things shape up long-term.

I have a bunch of metric and sae hand tools (some dating back to my grandfather and step-father) hung up on the garage wall and can fix almost anything with them. I don't need an air compressor and a fleet of air tools or a dozen high end power tools, a couple of the most basic power tools (drill, circular saw, jigsaw) suffice.

Sometimes more is less and less is more.
MartyNeilan
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:30 pm

The one instrument I have that may (??) not be "needed" (for my trade/profession) is my (rotary) kaiser baritone (Melton/Meinl-Weston).
Yeah...I'm just a euphonium doubler (there are worse doublers,and I'm not a euphonium "artist"), but - well... - I REALLY like to "bariton" (aka "tenor tuba"), and I haven't had it that long, so...
bloke

Postby Stryk » Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:26 pm

I spoke to my friend, Quinn yesterday. He plays tuba in community band. He gave me a tuba that his dad, also his band director, found in the loft of a barn in North Dakota and fixed up for him when he was 13. He uses one of my newer horns I gave him life lease of - just a Jinbao, but he loves it. He brings it to practice every week in the case with his own chair on top of the case. Quinn will be 90 on August 1 and has no sign of slowing down. I call that inspiration!
Terry Stryker
Alexander 163 BBb
Amati Kraslice 481 C
Mirafone 184 C
Mirafone186 C
Mirafone186 BBb
Lyon & Healy 1904 C
Kane Stealth C
Other non-descript tuba fodder
Stryk
Retired Educator
Retired Educator