When to stop Buying Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: When to stop Buying

Postby Donn » Tue Jun 30, 2020 1:40 am

MartyNeilan wrote:I don't need an air compressor and a fleet of air tools or a dozen high end power tools, a couple of the most basic power tools (drill, circular saw, jigsaw) suffice.

Sometimes more is less and less is more.

No drill press?

Not long ago I treated myself to a small oxy-acetylene kit. Last weekend I sent off for some crimping tools for RJ45 connectors, which I expect I will get a little use out of and then use very rarely, though more often than the crimper for Anderson Powerpole connectors. The oxy-acetylene gear got some use last summer. No way am I going to sell any of this stuff. More tools, is more.

Same with tubas. They do take up some space, and a couple have gone away, but as long as there's room, they stay. I don't want to have to go out and re-buy the tubas I need, if I could just keep them during the time they aren't needed. More tubas, is more.
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby Dylan King » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:13 pm

This kind of thing has been going on for ages. Hear the wisdom of a king...

Ecclesiastes 2:4-11
I made my works great, I built myself houses, and planted myself vineyards. I made myself gardens and orchards, and I planted all kinds of fruit trees in them. I made myself water pools from which to water the growing trees of the grove. I acquired male and female servants, and had servants born in my house. Yes, I had greater possessions of herds and flocks than all who were in Jerusalem before me. I also gathered for myself silver and gold and the special treasures of kings and of the provinces. I acquired male and female singers, the delights of the sons of men, and musical instruments of all kinds.
So I became great and excelled more than all who were before me in Jerusalem. Also my wisdom remained with me.
Whatever my eyes desired I did not keep from them.
I did not withhold my heart from any pleasure,
For my heart rejoiced in all my labor;
And this was my reward from all my labor.
Then I looked on all the works that my hands had done
And on the labor in which I had toiled;
And indeed all was vanity and grasping for the wind.
There was no profit under the sun.

Some King’s never learn. This one included.

DK
Mira 291 CC
Yorkbrunner CC
Eastman CC
YFB-822 F
YFB-621 F
PT-10 F Clone
MackMini F
YBL622 B-TB
YSL891Z TB
Xeno Bb/C Trps
Taylor Bb/C Trp
Eclipse C Trp
Yamaha C Pic
Lawler C7 Trp
Osmun Corumpet
Carol Pocket Trp
Schagerl Gansch Horn
Monette Ajna Trumpet
Dylan King
YouTube Tubist
YouTube Tubist

Postby Donn » Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:24 pm

I have to kind of feel for the guy, who if I have my historical time line right was not able to count a tuba among his musical instruments, not even a baritone horn. Dark times.
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby Doc » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:05 pm

Charlie, please take the following matter-of-fact responses in the positive, supportive, caring way they are intended. :D

Charlie C Chowder wrote:As you know, I have been collecting musical toys most of my adult life. Now at the tender age of 69, and with the corvid 19 making me a possible statistic, I had to think real hard about buying a new toy. [Just a beautiful Buffet Crampon Super Dyna action Tenor saxophone.]

Without Corona, would you have hesitated?

Will I be around long enough to justify the money spent.

Let's be honest and frank: Who gives a $#!+? How do you justify doing or not doing something enjoyable for yourself based on an unknown factor (length of life)??? If you want to spend it, then spend it. You sure as hell can't take it with you, and you don't owe an explanation to anyone. If we all lived lives of "what if," people would either go for broke and go bust right away trying to get it all in before the end, or they wouldn't do anything at all out of fear. You're a reasonable guy - you don't seem to be crashing the ship financially or doing immoral things, so enjoy it while you're here, and get on with the business of living! Make hay while the sun is shining. Git u sum. If you haven't earned it by now, then when? Bust a move and do what you want. Live while you're alive.

I hoping to hit 100 years of age, but my physical strength is going to go down hill someday.

They sell smaller instruments every day. Get some when the time comes.

How much time do I have left to play? I cannot justify that my kids and/or grandkids will play them. None of my kids really play.

Who cares? You're here now, and there is no guarantee how long we'll be here, so get busy living now. Instead of living timid/scared, live large and have fun! If you want it, and you can afford it, do it.

So after I croak, they will be sold or donated to whom ever.

And...??? It isn't your job to worry yourself out of buying something based on what your kids may or may not do with your instruments after you pass. You''re not obliged to care, but if you do have specific desires for your instruments after your passing, put that in your will. Otherwise, get busy buying, playing, and enjoying what you want, and then come back and share your fulfilling experiences! We will definitely enjoy them with you!

It is just me who enjoys them. So should I stop?

So your happiness isn't that important? You should sacrifice your enjoyment for... what??? Self-denial, while sometimes necessary, in and of itself is not noble, and certainly not noble for any reasons you state. No need to stop, unless you're finished.

I did get the sax as the price was very good, and its value should increase. And I did not have a modern tenor with the bottom keys on the right of the bell.

Excellent!

But I think I need to stop collecting anything.

Horse hockey! Unless, of course, you are completely satisfied with what you have.

I am running out of space as well.

Let's discuss creative storage in another thread. It IS possible.

It is kind of sad to think about, but I have been very lucky in my life,

Nothing sad about that at all. No need for melancholy. Celebrate it. Be a source of joy and blessing to others. And if you want to add to your collection, celebrate and give thanks for your ability to do that.

Doc "who thinks that Charlie guy is a thoughtful, caring, person who should be free from guilt, obstacle, or hindrance, and is a fine member of the TNFJ."
Most people are blind, willfully ignorant, unthinking sheep,
and the wolf is having mutton for supper.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:10 pm

All of this having been said...

Mrs. bloke and I are in our 60's.
I believe we appear/are-more-energetic/accomplish-more-than quite a few considerably younger people.

THAT HAVING BEEN SAID, we just got a new amazing male kitten. (His name is Covid.) Before picking him up, we asked our 40-year-old daughter if she would accept him into her home if - in a few years from now - something were to happen to us...

bloke "...but animals need LOVE and CARE. Horns just need to be SOLD."

bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby anotherjtm2 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:47 pm

bloke wrote:All of this having been said...

Mrs. bloke and I are in our 60's.
I believe we appear/are-more-energetic/accomplish-more-than quite a few considerably younger people.

THAT HAVING BEEN SAID, we just got a new amazing male kitten. (His name is Covid.) Before picking him up, we asked our 40-year-old daughter if she would accept him into her home if - in a few years from now - something were to happen to us...

bloke "...but animals need LOVE and CARE. Horns just need to be SOLD."

That's a thoughtful question, but he looks irresistible.
John Morris
- playing modest old tubas in volunteer ensembles (including a vintage BBb 186 for sale)
anotherjtm2
bugler
bugler

Postby Charlie C Chowder » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:10 pm

Thank you Doc! I always try to be a credit to what ever community I am participating in at the moment. As to room enough, I have been very creative in making space to store my toys and they have to be easily accessible. If I cannot play with them then they just become part of my art collection, and not a toy. Now "Art", that is visual art with no purpose other then to be looked at is not a subject for here.

Charlie C. Chowder
Charlie C Chowder
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:39 am

anotherjtm2 wrote:That's a thoughtful question, but he looks irresistible.

I've owned quite a few cats over the last 60 years...two or three amazing ones (intelligence, insightfulness, affection, loyalty, etc.)

This one (at only age 16 weeks) has already proved himself to be well up in that category.
bloke

Previous

Return to TubeNet