Beware of newbie scammers Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: Beware of newbie scammers

Postby the elephant » Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:30 pm

Boomer wrote:I participate in a local forum that involves the sale of firearms. Since the beginning of the Covid lock down, it has been inundated with new member who are obviously intent on scams.

The biggest one arises when you post a notice in the "wanted to buy" which is usually an obscure item or part. You get a PM from a new member with an email of a buddy who just happens to have that rare item at a bargain price.

Lots of board discussion, but no one has figured out the connection with the Covid panic.

I went to my local Bass Pro Shop to pick up a new pistol and several boxes of ammo. Not only were the display cases low on stock, but the ammo shelves had also been cleaned out. Gun sales have skyrocketed since the virus became a thing. They are through the roof. This sort of action always attracts scammers.

A lot of the extra "gun traffic" right now is probably due to so many worrying that there could be food shortages and rioting if this virus gets really out of hand. (We have a tragically large prepper population where I live.) The locals here have been all a-buzz about this topic since early March. Local gun sales have largely been driven by panic.

[Not me, though. I'm getting a new one right now because I have the funds. I had three incidents last year leaving our concert hall after work late at night, so I have been researching for something better than what I normally carry. And now that I am able to retire my little single stack .32 and move up to a 9 mm double stack, the one I want is out of stock and they are out of ammo to boot.]
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby Three Valves » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:36 pm

Hibiliby preppers and home schoolers. Now, suddenly, everyone wants to be them!! :lol:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
TU25
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:09 pm

I just don't see "the virus" as boosting gun/ammo sales.
Other things have also been recently orchestrated that generate far more cause for alarm regarding self/home defense.

The real possibility of famine plus some quite significant food pricing inflation (food shortages + trillions in currency-printing), though, may well be the results of the virus panic.

bloke "whoops...Typing things that are real always triggers Mark...' sorry, folks." :oops:
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Previous

Return to TubeNet