The "Most Important" Tubas - With Side Note

The bulk of the musical talk
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Re: The "Most Important" Tubas - With Side Note

Post by iiipopes »

Rick Denney wrote:I might restate the question as "which tubas became the archetypes for later generations?"
Or workhorses: King 1240, Miraphone 186, Conn 2XJ.
Jupiter JTU1110, RT-82.
"Real" Conn 36K.
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

That’s a good analog, Doc.
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165
tobysima`
bugler
bugler

Post by tobysima` »

Doc wrote:
iiipopes wrote:
Rick Denney wrote:I might restate the question as "which tubas became the archetypes for later generations?"
I liken the 186 to the Fender Precision Bass - The industry standard, a workhorse, and can nearly do it all, and does most everything incredibly well. Cuts through the mix well, sits in the mix well, and sounds great live or recorded. Those classic King 1240/1241/2341 tubas are in that same workhorse category for sure. Neither are the progenitor of modern tubas (nod to the OP), but they have evolved into something head-and-shoulders above the rest when it comes to general/do-it-all/one-tool-to-do-them-all applications.

If someone is going to spout a bunch of nonsense about how 6/4 CC's or F tubas (you know... those specialty tubas, much like how 6 string basses and fretless basses are specialty basses?) are the Fender P Bass standard workhorses of the tuba world, stop typing.

Well I suppose on that topic, I minds well inquire i there are any "smaller" York style tubas, be they 4/4 or 5/4. I know of the Mack Brass Little Thunderbird, but that's about it.
Toby Simard
Current Stable:
M&M 5V CC Tuba - Conn Helleberg 120S
tobysima`
bugler
bugler

Post by tobysima` »

Doc wrote:
iiipopes wrote:
I liken the 186 to the Fender Precision Bass - The industry standard, a workhorse, and can nearly do it all, and does most everything incredibly well. Cuts through the mix well, sits in the mix well, and sounds great live or recorded. Those classic King 1240/1241/2341 tubas are in that same workhorse category for sure. Neither are the progenitor of modern tubas (nod to the OP), but they have evolved into something head-and-shoulders above the rest when it comes to general/do-it-all/one-tool-to-do-them-all applications.

If someone is going to spout a bunch of nonsense about how 6/4 CC's or F tubas (you know... those specialty tubas, much like how 6 string basses and fretless basses are specialty basses?) are the Fender P Bass standard workhorses of the tuba world, stop typing.
Also, I'll likely own one CC, one F, and one Euph. Maybe a Flugel, and maybe I'll end up paying someone to make on of those Berkeley Winds bass flugels into an F alto tuba.
Toby Simard
Current Stable:
Matt G
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Matt G »

tobysima` wrote:Well I suppose on that topic, I minds well inquire i there are any "smaller" York style tubas, be they 4/4 or 5/4. I know of the Mack Brass Little Thunderbird, but that's about it.
The Eastman 632 and 832 CCs are “York-ish” 4/4 sized tubas.
Dillon/Walters CC
Meinl Weston 2165
tobysima`
bugler
bugler

Post by tobysima` »

Matt G wrote:
tobysima` wrote:Well I suppose on that topic, I minds well inquire i there are any "smaller" York style tubas, be they 4/4 or 5/4. I know of the Mack Brass Little Thunderbird, but that's about it.
The Eastman 632 and 832 CCs are “York-ish” 4/4 sized tubas.
I've heard very good things about the 632. How does it compare with the 832?
Toby Simard
Current Stable: