Rotary valves, p*ssing me off!!!

The bulk of the musical talk
Rick Denney
Resident Genius

Post by Rick Denney »

TubaTodd wrote:I believe the Hirsbrunner I spoke of had homemade style linkage a la "Rick Denney". With that kind of linkage there is no screw to adjust.
The ball joints I use have screws to adjust the tension, but the screws should really be used just to take up most of the slack and no more.

Miraphones have screws in the back caps that can be used to take up thrust wear, but this is a stop-gap until a proper repair can be done.

Yes, valves should spin freely, but not like a top, unless you use a very light oil (like valve oil). And such a light oil will not do a good job of preventing wear. Oil for rotor shafts should be about the thickness of light machine oil, which is still light but heavier than valve oil. It will damp the spinning a bit. The important thing is that while there may be damping, there is no mechanical drag from buildup around the rotor bodies or from the rear plate being misaligned when it was reinstalled. You'll know it when it's right.

The typical springs used these days are not adjustible, but they may be wound too tightly. When you reassemble, the spring only needs to be wound just enough to move the valve through it's travel. Making springs tight to overcome friction that shouldn't be there is the wrong solution.

Rick "who thinks pistons have their issues, too" Denney
TubaTodd
4 valves
4 valves

Post by TubaTodd »

Thank you Rick for your response. I remember asking the HB owner about the stiffness of the valves and the answer I got left me puzzled. The person said "it makes me faster on other tubas." Other tubas.....other than YOUR Hirsbrunner? The person was a very good player. The answer was confusing.

I wish that Conn would make an option for 52/56J tubas for there to be a rotary valve set that could be attached to the same body* (Since the valve set is removable). If you could reuse MOST if not all of the slides then it could be more economical. I think having an interchangeable tuba like that would be the next great thing in the world of tubas......or the next gimic (flavor of the month). Hee hee...reminds me of Almond Joy and Mounds.

"Sometimes you feel like a nut (pistons)...sometimes you don't (rotars).

* To be truthful I am unaware of the logistics of this idea. It was just a thought. You have to admit....it would be pretty kewl.
Todd Morgan
Conn 52J - Sidey SSH Classic - MF3H