anyone know anything about kurath??? Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

anyone know anything about kurath???

Postby austuba » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:18 pm

basically i play a kurath FF tuba and i am interested in the history of the rare brand.

ive managed (by coinsidence) to trace the history of my tuba back to the factory and was just wondering if anyone knew anthing about the brand, who made them, why they arnt around anymore, how many where made or any other info youve got.

thanks
austuba

Kurath

Postby Matt Ransom » Sun Jun 11, 2006 1:41 pm

I believe Willie Kurath did or does work with the Willson Instrument Company. Your Kurath F is pretty close to identical to the current Willson F. Those early Kurath F's play very well. Hope that helps.

Matt
Matt Ransom
pro musician
pro musician

Postby ThomasP » Sun Jun 11, 2006 2:12 pm

There was at one point a Kurath-Perantucci CC tuba.

I would suggest browsing old T.U.B.A. Journals for advertisements and you'll see the brand Kurath come up. As for the time being it is my knowledge that Kurath tubas ARE (for a lack of a better word) Willson tubas, or very similar.
Thomas Peacock
Huttl for life
Schilke 66
ThomasP
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Doc » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:17 am

I owned one for years. I bought it at Custom about 16 years ago. Fred Marrich said it was the first one in the US, as was the big F sitting next to it in the tuba house. It is a predecessor to the current Willson, and was produced by Willie Kurath. I had to move my slides a little, but it could absolutely hammer any ensemble. It was a big, heavy horn. Sound never broke. Played easy. Huge sound that had plenty of "core sound" but BAT presence. I bought it over a Hirsbrunner 5/4 rotary CC, as well as an Alex Kaiser BBb (although it was the best horn there). I was sorry to have sold mine, but over time, I didn't have any use for it anymore.

Hope that helps some.

Doc
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Kurath instruments

Postby Belltrouble » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:15 pm

Hi,
just check out for

WILLSON Band instruments
by using Google........

That company is owned by Willy Kurath
and they are running are very good reputation overhere at europe,really!!!

best regards from sunny germany,
Kurt
Belltrouble

Postby austuba » Mon Jun 12, 2006 1:42 pm

thanks heaps for the imput guys.
i agree with doc completely youve just described my tuba perfactly. and "There was at one point a Kurath-Perantucci CC tuba." thomas because my kurath actually origionated from bob tucci who picked it himself (quite a few yeas ago) from the kurath (now willson) factory. i had a lesson off him about 2 years ago and he said "you dont see many kurath's these days, i sold one to steve rossey many years ago" which i knew my horn came to be in this country through steve (the tubist with the sydney symphony orchestra). since then ive traced it through quite a few players in australia, my tuba's the town bike :(

anyway if anyone else has anymore info then post away if not thanks again guys.
austuba

Postby prototypedenNIS » Mon Jun 26, 2006 2:00 pm

I've got a rebranded Kurath... I need a 4th valve though...
denNIS
Salvation Army 1934 and 1954 (Boosey) euph
prototypedenNIS
3 valves
3 valves

Postby SRanney » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:18 am

I used to own a Kurath F. Bought it from Custom in late 1993 when I was at ASU with Mr. P. Sold it several years later for financial reasons and have regretted selling it ever since.

I've got no new input regarding Kurath outside of what's already been said; made by Willie Kurath, now the Willson brand, great tuba, blah, blah, blah. I felt comfortable playing ANYTHING on that horn, except for the low, loud excerpts (Fountains, etc). Anything else I could nail without even really trying. Beautiful, open low register, free blowing upper, meat and potatos range was dead-on; only issue I had was water collection in some of the slides, but that was solved easily enough by pulling the slide and rotating the horn to empty the water. Absolutely solid construction, too: I once accidentally dropped a PT-64 on the bell from a height of about 6ft and the bell suffered a dent of only ~1/8" in diameter.

They're great horns. Next time I'm in the market for a horn, I'm going to do my best to buy a used Kurath or new Willson F.

SR
Last edited by SRanney on Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
SRanney
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Tom Holtz » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:23 am

Dan Perantoni had a Kurath F in his stable for a while around 1990, we all took a spin on it while it was in his studio. Biggest %*$&#^!! F tuba I've ever seen. Played great, sounded exactly like a CC tuba. Been a long time since I've seen one.

Tom Holtz
Push Button Make Sound
Push Button Make Sound

Postby bloke » Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:48 pm

Tom Holtz wrote:Dan Perantoni had a Kurath F in his stable for a while around 1990, we all took a spin on it while it was in his studio. Biggest %*$&#^!! F tuba I've ever seen. Played great, sounded exactly like a CC tuba. Been a long time since I've seen one.

I believe I saw that very tuba. My kid went to Interlochen Academy c. 1997-98, and the "big" tuba kid there (the one who was in the Academy orchestra) was trying it out in the basement of the cafeteria-connected dorm (Thor Johnson Hall). It was engraved "Perantucci", and (I believe the kid claimed) that D.P. was offering it for sale. The kid was quite impressed by the fact that D.P. owned it, but the thing had a very strange scale indeed. That student didn't know me from Adam (and to this day I do not know his name) but I played it for him with a tuner turned on (for him to watch) and encouraged him to continue his quest.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Scooby Tuba » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:49 pm

Tom Holtz wrote:Dan Perantoni had a Kurath F in his stable for a while around 1990, we all took a spin on it while it was in his studio. Biggest %*$&#^!! F tuba I've ever seen. Played great, sounded exactly like a CC tuba. Been a long time since I've seen one.

It didn't turn into this?:

Pretty much a CC tuba without all that extra tubing to carry! :D
Scooby Tuba

Postby bloke » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:55 pm

It didn't turn into this?:

naw. That thing we're talkin' about looked more like a York Monster Eb.
bloke

Postby JB » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:16 am

bloke wrote:

I believe I saw that very tuba. My kid went to Interlochen Academy c. 1997-98, and the "big" tuba kid there (the one who was in the Academy orchestra) was trying it out in the basement of the cafeteria-connected dorm (Thor Johnson Hall). It was engraved "Perantucci", and (I believe the kid claimed) that D.P. was offering it for sale. The kid was quite impressed by the fact that D.P. owned it, but the thing had a very strange scale indeed. That student didn't know me from Adam (and to this day I do not know his name) but I played it for him with a tuner turned on (for him to watch) and encouraged him to continue his quest.

These may be two distinctly different instruments being discussed.

I had opportunity to play that exact horn (in other words, the very same horn Dan Perantoni had to which Mr Holtz refers) in a variety of settings over quite a period of time -- everything from solo, to quintet, to orchestra. Intonation was pretty much spot on -- once the first valve slide was shortened (a self-done modification performed by Mr Perantoni with a hack saw!) I don't recall the Perantucci engraving at all, but on that point I am not completely sure.

I'm guessing that by six or seven (or eight) years later that might have been a different instrument altogether from the instrument Bloke refers to. Only a thought, FWIW.
JB
pro musician
pro musician

Re: anyone know anything about kurath???

Postby Tigerreydelaselva » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:00 pm

Hello everyone...I would like to know about the story from the perantucci horns made by kurath and Sanders...it's true that Robert Tucci and Dan perantoni gave their design to these companies...? And how were them ? A teacher said me that both supervised each horn before entering on the market...
[color=#004000]
Code: Select all
[code]Tigerreydelaselva
[/i]/color]
Tigerreydelaselva
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:24 pm

Regardless of non-manufacturers' names stenciled along with Kurath on their bells, it's my understand that (other than discontinued models, and minor design changes to remaining models over the years) that Kurath and Willson are one-and-the-same.
bloke

Postby rudysan » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:30 pm

Kurath was rename Willson after the son of Willie took the company in charge. Will's son = Willson.
rudysan
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:50 pm

rudysan wrote:Kurath was rename Willson after the son of Willie took the company in charge. Will's son = Willson.

...or - perhaps "AND son"...I recall first seeing the name appear (first generation compensating euphoniums - once the patent for the Blaikley system ran out...yes?) in the later 1970's. At that time (and quite a bit later) I know that Willi was still quite active, and would see Willi at USA conferences, but didn't notice his son being there.

bloke "those pesky Swiss...always copying stuff...such as oversized American C tubas, and complicated English baritone-tuba-type instruments" :lol:
bloke

Postby roweenie » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:34 pm

bloke wrote:those pesky Swiss...always copying stuff...such as oversized American C tubas, and complicated English baritone-tuba-type instruments" :lol:

I can't speak for the English baritone-tuba type instruments (as I admittedly know next to nothing of them and their history, but at least, as you say, they waited till the patent expired?), but wasn't their "oversized C tuba" a copy of something that was no longer commercially available at the time?
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:35 pm

roweenie wrote:
bloke wrote:those pesky Swiss...always copying stuff...such as oversized American C tubas, and complicated English baritone-tuba-type instruments" :lol:

I can't speak for the English baritone-tuba type instruments (as I admittedly know next to nothing of them and their history, but at least, as you say, they waited till the patent expired?), but wasn't their "oversized C tuba" a copy of something that was no longer commercially available at the time?

I suppose...Holton still had a pretty picture of their (seemingly, AJ-authorized...since he posed with one in pictures) copy in a current-at-the-time-the-Swiss-one-was-introduced slick color brochure, but I'd wager they wouldn't have taken an order for one.
"copy"...' more of a "curious interpretation", if you ask me...oh...unless you got "one of the good ones"... :lol:
bloke

Return to TubeNet