Rotary Conn CC Bookmark and Share

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals

Re: Rotary Conn CC

Postby bort » Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:59 pm

Stephen Shoop wrote:I am current owner of the Conn rotary tuba sold on Ebay in December 2016. It will play in CC or BBb due to two sets of interchangeable slides.

Very cool! I agonized about that tuba, and was REALLY close to getting it... but I eventually decided to pass on it. Glad it ended up in good hands, and it'll be great to see and hear it in action!

I also forgot about another Conn rotary that a former TubeNet member send me pictures of a while back... it was disassembled and being repaired. Never got the back-story on that one, though. Will have to see if that's the same as any of these other ones. It was silver...
B&S 4198 (PT-7P)
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby boredhorns » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:48 pm

Someone had wrote "There's no real indication that this is one of them, that it did come from the Conn factory."

I am able to read on the bell "CG Conn, made in the USA." Does this not illustrate that it was made in the Conn factory" I am located in Chicago if anyone would like to check out the tuba for themselves.
boredhorns
lurker
lurker

Postby Donn » Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:21 pm

No! There are lots of tubas around with bells that were installed later, in a modification performed long after it left the factory, and of course those bells come with the engraving from the donor horn. But bort recognized the valves from another Conn-made rotary, and they are pretty distinctive. So it looks like a pretty good bet. That other tuba at Baltimore Brass with the same valves, was otherwise very different, though, wasn't it? So it's a distinction without much meaning - they're more one-off custom jobs than factory models, it's just that the custom work was done at the factory, using valves from the same bin.
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Postby boredhorns » Sun Apr 08, 2018 12:59 pm

Dropped my price significantly!
boredhorns
lurker
lurker

Postby boredhorns » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:49 pm

I found the serial number 199572 which dates this tuba to 1923. Is there any significance in determining the model number or the rarity of this tuba? Thank You
boredhorns
lurker
lurker

Postby boredhorns » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:07 pm

I found serial number 199572 which dates this tuba to 1923. Can this help determine which model number it could possibly be or the rarity of this tuba? Thanks
boredhorns
lurker
lurker

Postby Alex C » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:57 am

Well, it definitely isn't Fred Geib's horn.

I contacted two knowledgeable tuba players, both said the horn might be a Conn factory custom job. You need the horn in hand to be more certain.
City Intonation Inspector - Dallas Texas
"Holding the Bordognian Fabric of the Universe together through better pitch, one note at a time."

Practicing results in increased atmospheric CO2 thus causing global warming.
Alex C
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Donn » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:54 am

Alex C wrote:You need the horn in hand to be more certain.

He does, I think, but the horn is apparently uncommunicative on the subject.
Donn
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Previous

Return to Off-Site deals and Ads