BBb to CC cuts Bookmark and Share

BBb to CC cuts

Postby tclements » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:39 pm

Hey guys, Is there anyone out there doing the Rusk-type BBb to CC cuts these days?? Thanks.
tclements
TubeNet Sponsor
TubeNet Sponsor

Re: BBb to CC cuts

Postby the elephant » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:06 pm

I am. But not using Rusk's terrible slip joints. I am currently correcting my Holton he cut. To fix it I am having to do a complete rebuild of every joint, and I am not pleased about this. I am working out the cuts on five other horns right now, too, with various key center alterations. I *am* learning tons of info, though.

I have a "guru" helping me with the horn and another "guru" (a physicist who also is a gigging jazzer in a major metropolitan area and who teaches Musical Acoustics at a major university) helping me with the math. It feels like I am an undergrad again. :roll:

It should be a much better horn after I have completed it…

… otherwise I am screwed. :shock:

BAHAHAHA!!!
Last edited by the elephant on Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
I got nothin'…
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby bort » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:51 pm

Thinking about cutting down the Holton??

Very few people do this these days. It's a TON of work, and results are not guaranteed. Especially since there are several lower priced Chinese 6/4 options now, the costs and effort to take an old 6/4 BBb and make it into CC... well, just doesn't seem to add up.

Not that the work can't be done, it's still very possible. But the whole concept was to make 6/4 CC tubas, when none (or very few) existed. They can be bought or ordered easily now, so cutting down isn't really so appealing anymore. It would likely take much more money and time than you or the repair person would want to spend.

But, it is cool to create things, and make something new from something old.

Sam Gnagey cuts down 2341's all the time. I wonder if he'd consider a special project?
B&S GR-41
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:54 am

I'm doing two Buescher 4/4's for myself. One is 4+1 front action with a 19" upright bell, and the other is 4+1 top action with a 14" detachable recording bell (and yeah, I'll probably cut another Buescher bell to offer that instrument and auxiliary detachable upright bell).
The valveset bore size is roughly 18.5mm
Those instruments only require removal of (in my judgment: excessive-length/out-of-proportion) capillary bore portions of the instruments, and no chopping down of large bows.
Upon the heads-up announcement of America's favorite valveset rebuilder's retirement, I was prompted to get my rear-end in gear, regarding these (and several other) projects.
:arrow: I don't accept other's projects, but occasionally sell off those that I've done for myself which I find that I'm not using in performance engagements.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby The Big Ben » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:55 am

The only reason to do it would be that a user really, really wanted to do it. Someone with real skills could get it done with enough effort but, if the user haaaasss to do it and is just a person with a torch and a hacksaw, I'd suggest trying a student Bb trumpet and cutting it to C. A C trumpet is actually useful and you might find out that a tuba is not something you really want to mess with.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Postby The Big Ben » Thu Sep 13, 2018 12:00 pm

the elephant wrote:It should be a much better horn after I have completed it…

You are being very meticulous with the Holton and it has been a fun thread to read.

Kinda like this viewpoint about work in general:

"I like and respect hard work. I could watch someone else do it all day..."
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Postby roughrider » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:00 am

The Big Ben wrote:
the elephant wrote:It should be a much better horn after I have completed it…

You are being very meticulous with the Holton and it has been a fun thread to read.

Kinda like this viewpoint about work in general:

"I like and respect hard work. I could watch someone else do it all day..."

It has been a terrific thread to read. Watching the evolution of that Holton keeps me checking in here every few days to see what the next progress is! I wonder if we could have an audio clip of the horn and the owner once this epic project is finished?
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
roughrider
3 valves
3 valves

Return to Repair, Modification, and Construction