Miraphone 191 gig bag options?

The bulk of the musical talk
WakinAZ
Community Band Button-Masher

Miraphone 191 gig bag options?

Post by WakinAZ »

Hey guys, I'm looking for a side loader gig bag for a miraphone 191.
It seems the only real option out there these days is the miraphone bag, which is a top loader. I detest top-loaders.

If I have to put up with a top loader, I'd prefer it not to be blue.
ronr
bugler
bugler

Re: Miraphone 191 gig bag options?

Post by ronr »

Cronkhite, Pro-Tec are side loaders, Wessex is kind of a back-loader.
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tmz1m »

I have the blue Miraphone one made for the horn and it's a tight fit (very exacting). Very sturdy though, but I agree that the top-loaders are not ideal.
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
Getzen 3047AFR Tenor Trombone
WakinAZ

Post by WakinAZ »

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm familiar with the Protec line, but there's only two sizes available and one would be too small and it would swim in the big one.
Pretty sure Cronkhite's out of business and there's no stock around. I'm checking with
Horn Guys in L A., but haven't heard back.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

^ correct. Just costs twice as much. :(
Mike C855B
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike C855B »

WakinAZ wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. I'm familiar with the Protec line, but there's only two sizes available and one would be too small and it would swim in the big one. ...
I confirmed the hard way the small one is too small for the 191. :( I really need to sell it, too small for my other horn, too.
Miraphone 191 4-valve
1925 Conn 28J
Cerveny CEP 531-4M
Fox 880 "Sayen" (oops... that's an oboe) ;)
jpwell
bugler
bugler

Post by jpwell »

I have one of the last Cronkite bags he made for my 191. It’s just an ok fit. It lays cockeyed in the bag, bulky in the valve and back plain if that makes sense. Carries music and others stuff well. Straps function well. Zipper is good. Had it two years. I doubt I would buy one new now with the prices they charge.
WakinAZ

Post by WakinAZ »

jpwell, by "bulky" do you mean the fit is too loose or too tight in those areas?
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tmz1m »

bort wrote:^ correct. Just costs twice as much. :(

Wow, those are expensive, didn't realize a tuba bag was worth the cost of a used Honda Civic. :shock:
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
Voisi1ev
bugler
bugler

Post by Voisi1ev »

I've more or less been happy with a Messina Side Loader I just picked up for a Bb Neo. I like the bag, I just wish I would have picked up top loader though. Prefer my Alteri, again, nothing wrong with the Messina, just think I prefer top loader after having both. The customer service at Messina was top notch also. Only about a 3-week turn around from order to delivery.
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

I really like Götz bags, but they are top-loaders. I've heard that you can order them as side-loaders, but I haven't seen one in person to know for sure.

Cost plus shipping is probably in the $400 range for top-loader.

The Miraphone gig bags really are quite nice, but a little ugly. I had one for a few years with my 188 and it worked very, very well. I got used to the blue-ness after a while, but I agree, it's not the prettiest thing out there. :)
Tom
5 valves
5 valves

Post by Tom »

If "new" is not required, look for a used old Reunion Blues or Cronkite if it's got to be a side loader. I can't recall the last time I saw a Miraphone 191 sized bag come up for sale, but I also haven't been seeking one. Gig bags do seem to regularly come up for sale here and sometimes on Ebay. The key seems to be knowing what other makes and models fit in the same bag so that you can widen your search to all of them.

Just a thought.
The Darling Of The Thirty-Cents-Sharp Low D♭'s.
tmz1m
3 valves
3 valves

Post by tmz1m »

That's funny -- I've always thought the blue color was a real positive, I really like it. Haha.
Rath R9 Bass Trombone
Minkrott
bugler
bugler

Post by Minkrott »

Protec has a small bag for an 18.5 inch bell. It works fine for my 191 clone.
https://www.dillonmusic.com/protec-smal ... black.html" target="_blank" target="_blank
King 2341 New Style
King 2341 Recording Bell
GRBIC 1907 Eb
Mike C855B
bugler
bugler

Post by Mike C855B »

Minkrott wrote:Protec has a small bag for an 18.5 inch bell. It works fine for my 191 clone.
https://www.dillonmusic.com/protec-smal ... black.html" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank
This is the one that doesn't fit my 191. You can work hard at it and force it in, but IMO it's a bell wrinkle waiting to happen.
Miraphone 191 4-valve
1925 Conn 28J
Cerveny CEP 531-4M
Fox 880 "Sayen" (oops... that's an oboe) ;)
jpwell
bugler
bugler

Post by jpwell »

Fit is toooooo loose not top to bottom or side to side front to back!!
greenbean
Superfine Cases
Superfine Cases

Post by greenbean »

I have the Miraphone bag (for a B&S tuba) and the blue color looks a LOT better in person than in the stock photos that retailers use. I like it. And the backpack straps are much better designed and more comfortable than on other bags I had tried.

My bag is only a few months old and is quite stiff. It stands up by itself nicely leaned up against a chair or sofa, so putting the horn in or out is effortless. (It helps that I can easily lift the horn with one arm.) At some point, the bag might get more "broken in" and start flopping around - which would make using it a pain. Time will tell!
-----
Tom Rice
http://www.superfinecases.com
Mirafone 184 BBb
B&M Marzan BBb
1974 Besson Eb
Beans&Tuba
bugler
bugler

Post by Beans&Tuba »

Not trying to hi-jack , but ,Greenbean , is the B&S tuba that you are refering to one of the 43 in. tall long neck tubas ? . I have a Meister Gerhardt Schneider 101 stencel tuba, and havent found a bag for it . I would love a miraphone bag for this tuba .
Jon
Miraphone 289 5v selmansberger symphony 33.2
John Packer 179b selmansberger solo 33.2
3/4 wilhelm Klier vb702 double bass ,
Jon Paul Martin german bow
Waltski
bugler
bugler

Post by Waltski »

Too bad Soundwear stopped making tuba bags - I have their professional model TH48-96 which perfectly fits my 191...
https://www.musiciansfriend.com/accesso ... ductDetail
greenbean
Superfine Cases
Superfine Cases

Post by greenbean »

Beans&Tuba wrote:Not trying to hi-jack , but ,Greenbean , is the B&S tuba that you are refering to one of the 43 in. tall long neck tubas ? . I have a Meister Gerhardt Schneider 101 stencel tuba, and havent found a bag for it . I would love a miraphone bag for this tuba .
No - I got the Miraphone bag for my B&S 3301, which came in a wooden DEG (?) case that weighs about 45 lb. The fit happens to be perfect.

The Musica B&S is 43" tall and the bell is 16.5". It came in an older Protec (when they called it Protec International). It is slightly long - but good enough. It has backpack straps but they are much less comfortable than the Miraphone. I think the current version of it is called the Gold Series. Dillon has one. It is the only bag that I have seen that would fit. Except for Cronkhite... :D

(I bet our stencils are slightly different. I will PM you. I would like to compare them.)
-----
Tom Rice
http://www.superfinecases.com
Mirafone 184 BBb
B&M Marzan BBb
1974 Besson Eb