My Eb Tuba Project Bookmark and Share

Re: My Eb Tuba Project

Postby Tubajug » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:11 pm

bloke wrote:I built a piston F tuba this week out of German, Chinese, and bloke parts. It turned out very nice and (lucky again) plays quite well in tune. I'm going to use it in a brass recital next Sunday (which is "tuba heavy"), since I'm not used to it, and since I'm also not particularly accustomed to playing F tubas with only five valves :P . I also have a Mardi Gras gig tomorrow night, so I'll probably take it - instead of the Eb - to get used to blowing through it.

...no pictures...boring project...and not my thread.

Nice! I'd love to see a little write-up about it. I'm always interested to see what other people put together.
Jordan
King 2341 with a Holton "Monster" Eb bell
Eb Frankentuba in progress
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

Used to own, but still a fun thread: Lyon & Healy Eb

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving's probably not for you.
Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Postby roweenie » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:20 pm

Tubajug wrote:
bloke wrote:I built a piston F tuba this week out of German, Chinese, and bloke parts. It turned out very nice and (lucky again) plays quite well in tune. I'm going to use it in a brass recital next Sunday (which is "tuba heavy"), since I'm not used to it, and since I'm also not particularly accustomed to playing F tubas with only five valves :P . I also have a Mardi Gras gig tomorrow night, so I'll probably take it - instead of the Eb - to get used to blowing through it.

...no pictures...boring project...and not my thread.

Nice! I'd love to see a little write-up about it. I'm always interested to see what other people put together.

Yes, me too - let us be the judge if it's boring or not :wink:
roweenie
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Ken Herrick » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:24 pm

IfBLOKE says it is boring - it MUST be BORING !!!
Free to tuba: good home
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:24 pm

stuff that does NOT belong in this thread that bloke wrote:I pushed to finish it before tonight's Mardi Gras gig...I got the bell READY to install (a Made In German Democratic Republic "Perantucci Model" bell - before there was any such thing as a "PT-10"), but just ran out of time...
I walked into the gig (a 55 minute drive away) about 3 seconds late...having made the drive in 42 minutes...and (obviously) did not use the new F tuba. (The Besson Eb was a much better choice for the gig, but - again - I wanted to give the F a test run, as the musicians on the bandstand are "good"...i.e. they play well, and with good intonation.)

Besides the bell, it needs better water keys, additional water keys (on the 90 degree elbows coming out of [piston] casings #'s 3 and 4 - to avoid dumping upper 3 and 4 slides), and I would like to add length to a couple of slides (with longer ferrules with bore-consistency inserts buried within them) and barely shorten the #2.

Even with none of that (and just sticking the friggin' bell permanently in place), it's a great instrument.

It's "boring" because it very strongly resembles a model that already exists...but I didn't have to cough up $12K, and this thing (I believe) plays just a bit better.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Ken Herrick » Wed Mar 06, 2019 2:19 am

Hmmmmm, maybe not so boring. Tell ya what: show us yours and I'll show you mine.
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:28 am

Ken Herrick wrote:Hmmmmm, maybe not so boring. Tell ya what: show us yours and I'll show you mine.

email me (signature), and I'll send you a picture or two. The bell goes on after breakfast.
bloke

Postby Tubajug » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:04 pm

It wouldn't be TubeNet if a thread didn't go off the rails now and then. :)
Jordan
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Ken Herrick » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:47 am

Is this a model railway club?
Ken Herrick
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:24 pm

Are you about ready to install your #4 circuit?
bloke

Postby Tubajug » Mon Mar 11, 2019 9:38 am

bloke wrote:Are you about ready to install your #4 circuit?

Not quite yet. I'm still trying to figure out how to get it to work with the inner and outer tubing I've got on hand.
Jordan
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Postby Tubajug » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:36 am

I think I've got the configuration for the 4th circuit figured out! Now I'll just need to start measuring and trimming for the final lengths. I'm short on bracing though...
Jordan
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Postby KiltieTuba » Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:51 am

What do you need for braces? I’ve got a large ziplock bag full of them.
KiltieTuba
6 valves
6 valves

Postby Tubajug » Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:27 pm

As I mentioned earlier, I think I've got my 4th valve circuit figured out. I did a little mock up and snapped a few photos:

I plan on adjusting the lengths of the two lower tubes in order to bring the whole thing down a bit so it's not sticking up so high on top.

In this photo I've just placed braces where they might go just to look good visually. Is there any acoustical harm to "clustering" braces together like this?

I was pleased that I was able to get the wrap a little more compact than I originally thought.

And finally, I sent the rotor and dogleg off to Dan Schultz for some tweaking. He expanded the end of the dogleg for me and created a ferrule to join the two. He also got the rotor set up in the configuration I wanted. Thanks Dan!

Hopefully I can start getting the 4th circuit soldered together soon. I'm still waiting on getting the bell done, but that's the last part of the body to do. Should bow guards be put on before or after assembling the bows?
Jordan
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Postby the elephant » Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:10 pm

I have built stuff with braces intentionally lined up across, worrying that it would create some sort of weird dead zone. It was not an issue. I have intentionally set them up to be offset by up to two inches. No effect. I think much of the brace location voodoo is just that: voodoo. It is not science until someone sets up some way to record the supposed differences and can prove them to be reproducible from horn to horn. Until that is done where differences in the test player's various repetitions and all differences in his face are factored out I will call brace location more of a placebo and less of something to worry about. There are a few locations where this might make a real difference, but it is not in the valve section.

I would have the guard plates and wires on before you assemble the bows into a bugle. Personal preference. (There are reasons, but these come from hands-on experience since everyone plays the flame differently and will have different results.)

By the way, this is starting to look really good. Keep up the work, Jordan. I think you will be pleased at all you learn in the end, and then you can do this to another horn using all this newfound knowledge and skill. Every time improves a bit. Or a lot. ;-)

If you need help, try asking a question. Making a series of disconnected, random statements won't get you your answer.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby Tubajug » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:46 am

I got the "fiddly bits" cut to be able to dry fit the 4th valve circuit. My plan is to align and parallel the tuning slide on the top and get that set up and then see where the bottom tuning slide will lay.

Here's just a little closer shot to see the inner stuff. Lots of little joints to line up and solder when it comes time. I noticed the shadows make it look like that small, straight piece of inner tubing is curved, but it's not. Strange.

I might need to make a new crook for the bottom slide, the one I have is dented and patched. I have some smaller crooks I might cut in half and join with a piece of tubing to get it the right width.

Thanks for checking in!
Jordan
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:34 pm

coming along ! 8)
bloke

Postby Tubajug » Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:22 am

Before I got too far along, I figured I should add the braces between the 3rd and my added 4th valve. So I got that done the other day. That is all.

Jordan
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:21 pm

If you've not yet soldered those casing braces in place, how about (though your spacing isn't the same) making them from some brass rod that's the same diameter as the other casings' braces?
bloke

Postby the elephant » Tue Apr 23, 2019 1:22 pm

Nice to see. I used rod of the same diameter as the pins and then filed out reliefs so that they looked more like the original pins. I also drilled out reliefs for the homemade pins, but this was *really* difficult with the tools I have. Locating the exact place and depth of each one was a time consuming task. I am not sure I wouldn't just use braces like what you did here in my future projects.

Keep the reports coming in, Jordan!

If you need help, try asking a question. Making a series of disconnected, random statements won't get you your answer.
the elephant
Papa Legba
Papa Legba

Postby Tubajug » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:15 pm

bloke wrote:If you've not yet soldered those casing braces in place, how about (though your spacing isn't the same) making them from some brass rod that's the same diameter as the other casings' braces?

I did consider that, but in the end, this was easier. I actually went back and forth for quite a while trying to decide if I wanted to cut, grind, and shape the brass rod or find some braces. When I found these that fit with just a readjustment of the curvature of the feet, I went the easy route...

I know it doesn't look "original," but in my mind, I plan on using this horn for a while (aka, I'm not building it to sell it), and it's in a rather hidden spot on the horn to the average onlooker, so I went with convenience. That and I'm really itching to get the 4th valve circuitry finished up and I didn't want to try and solder around all that extra tubing to brace that valve. I had put this off for quite a while and just moved on with the circuitry when I probably should have done this without any of the tubing on there at all.

Oh well, it's on now, it's functional, and I can keep moving! Although my new helicon is really tempting to start tinkering with...focus Jordan, focus!

SIDEBAR - What I would love to do is have my helicon straightened out in time to play for our band alumni game at UNL this fall AND get this Eb project done before December so that I can take a different horn to a couple different Christmas events. We'll see if time is on my side in that regard...we have a lot of home projects that need attention this summer as well...
Jordan
Martin Medium Eb Helicon

Tubajug
5 valves
5 valves

PreviousNext

Return to Repair, Modification, and Construction