a thread for your old marchin' band videos Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

a thread for your old marchin' band videos

Postby bloke » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:31 am

I had NO idea that these old *U̶n̶i̶v̶e̶r̶s̶i̶t̶y̶ ̶o̶f̶ Memphis State University "Sound of the South" marching band videos were on youtube, and - so far - this is the first one that I viewed. We used Conn 22K fiberglass sousaphones, just fwiw, which were probably about fifteen years old, and had been painted over with spray paint two or three times. Their valvesets were all reinforced with HVAC vent strapping and bolts (to prevent that brass brace on the early version - which screwed into aluminum on the body - from breaking off via the chemical reaction between brass and aluminum...and no, we never damaged these instruments...not even a little bit.)

We changed the vast majority of the halftime show (and about half of the PREGAME show as well) weekly.
I do not know of anyone who did not use a flip-folder, and each us us invented our own personal "code" (written in the margins above each staff) to tell us what to do/where to go.

This halftime show featured Johnny Carson's (Doc Severinsen's) Tonight Show Band's drummer, Ed Shaughnessy, so the show wasn't as involved as were some of the shows. You will also see The Sound of the South's trademark "Golden Girl", along with other fine baton twirlers.

This was recorded with a Super-8 film camera, and the audio is that which was provided by the camera itself.

Last edited by bloke on Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: a thread for your old marchin' band videos

Postby bloke » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:46 am

Here is one our pregame shows (from the same year). We had a total of about 13 hours of rehearsal time - weekly - to put these two shows (pregame and halftime) together. That having been said, scholarship-wise, many of us were paid about $5/hr. to do that work, which - adjusted for inflation - equals about $25/hr. today (and with microscopically lower tuition rates than today).

Previous to this year, as Tom Ferguson, former director of bands and jazz giant (who was the first pianist, btw, with the Matteson/Phillips Tubajazz Consort) embedded several professional jazz musicians in the marching band with handsome "work-study" stipends (so they would be in the University's "A" Jazz band...none of them - really - interested at all in pursuing degrees).
When the "A" Jazz band would put on concerts (often, with top international guest soloists - who were friends of Tom), the house was packed, and with "no free tickets, and no discounts...not even for students", they were charging $10/ticket (again: adjusted for inflation, that's about $55/ticket, today).

Our overlays (over our blue coats) were reversible, so that we - in effect - had different uniforms for the pregame and halftime shows. The flag girls (who sat behind the sousaphones) helped the sousaphone players turn their overlays over...so that was kind of nice. :oops:

You might also notice that - though very poor win/loss records - Memphis State University's football team, during that era, scheduled games with some "real" teams.
bloke

Postby Three Valves » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:14 pm

That is remarkable sound and recording quality!! Nice crowd too...

I didn’t get in until 1981 but we still marched onto the field like this and wore Spatz!!

https://youtu.be/N53DhBrK9Mc
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
TU25
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:40 pm

I keep finding more...
This was my first year...Hallelujah Chorus and Candy Man in the same show...!?!?

LOL...another pregame with "Proud Mary" and "God Bless America" juxtaposed...

hmm...
I think this was when the Memphis State football team sucked as usual, Auburn was ranked #3, and Memphis State BEAT Auburn at home VERY BADLY (30-something to 20, maybe...??)

movie music of Miklós Rózsa..."Triumphal March" from Quo Vadis (1951)
Marvin Hamlisch..."The Way We Were" (1973)

Shostakovitch...Brahms...Three Dog Night...

Superdome...big Sousa medley
bloke

Postby Three Valves » Thu Apr 18, 2019 5:35 pm

Your AV Club rocked!!
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
TU25
Three Valves