Mirafone 185 - Craigslist

Sell and Buy equipment via Ebay and Craigslist
Forum rules
This is for posting links to off site deals that you are not personally selling,but wanting to pass along good deals
shinytuba7
bugler
bugler

Mirafone 185 - Craigslist

Post by shinytuba7 »

Mirafone 185
Mouthpieces FS/FT
anotherjtm2
3 valves
3 valves

Re: Mirafone 185 - Craigslist

Post by anotherjtm2 »

It's had the original valve linkages replaced?
John Morris
- 1960s CC Scherzer/Sander
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Doesn't look like it. These are fun tubas. Small by today's standards... but they play well and sound nice. The Miraphone heroes of yesteryear all sounded great on these.
ckalaher1
3 valves
3 valves

Post by ckalaher1 »

Really fun, nice tubas. The ones I have played were like F tubas trapped in a CC tuba body.

Looks like it's in pretty nice shape. If it's a nice player, $3300 is a really fair price.
groovlow
bugler
bugler

Post by groovlow »

Looks like a 184 CC
See the curved tube between rotor 4 and spit-valve.
I recall a simple 90* turn to MTS on a185 :?:
shinytuba7
bugler
bugler

Post by shinytuba7 »

Anyone have any idea what type of gig bag would fit this horn? Would the Eb/F Miraphone bag fit this? I know Altieri isn't making bags right now for tubas, at least according to their website. And the Cronkhite bag may be the template for the slightly larger, newer version.
Mirafone 185
Mouthpieces FS/FT
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinytuba7
bugler
bugler

Post by shinytuba7 »

tofu wrote:When you find out let me know!

These are really tall tubas (taller than a 186) and the bell of this vintage is 14 7/8 inches and the body is much narrower than a 186. So when you do find a tall enough bag the horn will swim in it. Cronkhite did have a pattern for it so I assume the current operation could make you a copy and my guess is that is Glenns old pattern from back in the day with the old horn. I could use a new bag for my '69 and have debated between getting another Cronkhite or getting one made by the guys in Cinncy whose name escapes currently.

Did you buy the horn in MN? It looks like it has been well taken care of and if it plays as well as it looks - that is a very fair price.
I am strongly considering it. And I was thinking that the Eb/F Miraphone might fit. We will have to see what the actual measurements are when I hear back. I also sent an email to Cronkhite to hear what the actual measurements are for the case. I'll post what I find here, as it could be useful to people in the future.

Also, if you think of the name of that company, feel free to mention it.
Mirafone 185
Mouthpieces FS/FT
tofu
5 valves
5 valves

Post by tofu »

Last edited by tofu on Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
roughrider
4 valves
4 valves

Post by roughrider »

Messina Covers now based in Louisville, KY. They can be found on the web or on facebook as well.
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
shinytuba7
bugler
bugler

Post by shinytuba7 »

This horn is officially mine. I am a bit excited. As for what I am using for a case, I am using one of the Grotz bags that you can get on eBay. The horn definitely swims, but not as much as you would think. Any questions?
Mirafone 185
Mouthpieces FS/FT
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Post by The Big Ben »

shinytuba7 wrote:This horn is officially mine. I am a bit excited. As for what I am using for a case, I am using one of the Grotz bags that you can get on eBay. The horn definitely swims, but not as much as you would think. Any questions?
Did you go for the flight case, too? Adding $200 for the case sounds like a good deal.
shinytuba7
bugler
bugler

Post by shinytuba7 »

The Big Ben wrote:
shinytuba7 wrote:This horn is officially mine. I am a bit excited. As for what I am using for a case, I am using one of the Grotz bags that you can get on eBay. The horn definitely swims, but not as much as you would think. Any questions?
Did you go for the flight case, too? Adding $200 for the case sounds like a good deal.
I did not. My car cannot fit it and living in an apartment means I would lose so much space to it. I just don't have a use for it. The guy might want to sell it if anyone is interested.
Mirafone 185
Mouthpieces FS/FT
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

Congrats, and again sorry that we couldn't meet while you were here!
shinytuba7
bugler
bugler

Post by shinytuba7 »

bort wrote:Congrats, and again sorry that we couldn't meet while you were here!
No worries! Having kids is a full time job from what people tell me.
Mirafone 185
Mouthpieces FS/FT
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Post by bort »

How is the tuba working out for you?
shinytuba7
bugler
bugler

Post by shinytuba7 »

bort wrote:How is the tuba working out for you?
I'm actually enjoying it quiet a bit. It is more compact in every way than my last horn (Obviously!) and so much lighter (again, Obviously!!!). Also, I forgot how much I enjoyed playing a rotor CC tuba. And the 2 whole-step 5th valve is a welcome change and I am enjoying the valve combinations in the low register with this setup more than the standard flat whole-step from what I remember. Also, the horn blends so much better with the trombones and euphoniums. Also, it has a much better scale than my Rudy 3/4 CC ever had. All the notes on this horn, when I crack one or miss one entirely, are my fault and not anything to do with how the horn is setup, which I felt were problems that my Rudy had. But probably still user error. Either way, it's just a more pleasant experience overall for me.

I have only been able to take it to 2 rehearsals so far, but the conductor did not say anything to me, so either he doesn't care or doesn't mind the change. He wouldn't have a say in it anyways unless the group I am in were to buy my 36J, not that will never happen. And I'll have some more rehearsals and concerts in the coming weeks that I'll be able to stretch my legs a bit more with it and see what it can do. I'll be the only tuba for a larger band soon, so we'll see how that goes as well!
Mirafone 185
Mouthpieces FS/FT