Travel Costs Bookmark and Share

Topics regarding life as a professional

Travel Costs

Postby jonahksmith » Wed May 29, 2019 11:00 pm

Hi all,

I'm about to enter my freshman year of college as a music performance major at a major state school (FSU for the curious) and I wonder how much money students typically spend on travel with two tubas (F and CC). I plan on taking auditions when they come up and maybe going to a few conferences/competitions. I'd mainly be flying. Is $3k USD a year a sound expectation, or am I ridiculously high/low in my estimate? I'm trying to provide a reasonable number for a scholarship program.

Thanks,

Jonah
jonahksmith
lurker
lurker

Re: Travel Costs

Postby bloke » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:38 pm

Find a dependable mechanically-sound Toyota Corolla with 200K or less miles on it, and keep good tires on it.

Drive everywhere, and avoid airlines. You'll actually learn quite a bit from this (geography/sociology/history/architecture/culture...all sorts of things), have time to give some topics a lot of thought, avoid catching all sorts of horrible airborne diseases, and avoid some nearly-guaranteed and very disheartening damage to your instruments and to their cases. Often - I will predict - your travel time (door-to-door) will be within hours of the same, and your costs (damage costs excluded) will be far lower.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Re: Travel Costs

Postby iiipopes » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:00 pm

bloke wrote:Find a dependable mechanically-sound Toyota Corolla with 200K or less miles on it, and keep good tires on it.

Drive everywhere, and avoid airlines. You'll actually learn quite a bit from this (geography/sociology/history/architecture/culture...all sorts of things), have time to give some topics a lot of thought, avoid catching all sorts of horrible airborne diseases, and avoid some nearly-guaranteed and very disheartening damage to your instruments and to their cases. Often - I will predict - your travel time (door-to-door) will be within hours of the same, and your costs (damage costs excluded) will be far lower.

This. I would only add: and keep the oil changed.
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 & B&H 3-valve comp w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Return to Professional Topics