Sellmansberger mouthpieces - NEW PRODUCTS (lower pricing) Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Sellmansberger mouthpieces - NEW PRODUCTS (lower pricing)

Postby bloke » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:27 pm

OK...so shoot me...not in the Sponsor Forum, but I kinda thought it might be of semi-general interest.

I talked to Dave and explained that I need my very best-selling stuff to be offered at a lower cost, yet still with a superior, no-plating/far-more-scratch-resistant stainless steel rim, and together (probably 99% my ideas, and 99% his design work on the cool new still-Sellmansberger-ish exterior look) we came up with this:

a Sellmansberger Symphony cup, a Sellmansberger Symphony back-bore with a P shank (in-between standard and euro, much like some other popular consumer-priced one-piece mouthpieces) with the cup /shank being SILVER PLATED BRASS and NOT modular, and this cup/shank is BONDED to a (NEW SIZE) Sellmansberger #2 profile :arrow: 32.9mm rim. This will be priced (from me: Joe Sellmansberger, Mid-South Music, Inc.) at $150, with NO RIM SUBSTITUTIONS OFFERED. Again, the newly-introduced Sellmansberger #2 32.9mm stainless steel rim is PERMANENTLY BONDED to the silver plated brass cup/shank assembly...oh, and there's no fancy elk engraving...only the word, "SYMPHONY", on the cup portion.

you almost wrote:but bloke...I like that cup/shank part fine, but I want a different rim.

OK...fine.
For a price of $120, you can buy this same Symphony/Symphony/P-shank silver plated cup/shank WITH MALE THREADS, which (with a standard $80 rim) equals a total mouthpiece price of only $200.

All of the three-piece stainless steel modular mouthpieces (will over 1000 viable combinations) remain at $250.

You could (??) think of the new (defacto, but not really) "one-piece" mouthpiece as a "student" Sellmansberger mouthpiece, but - if the three parts are PRECISELY what YOU would choose - it's (defacto) a "custom" mouthpiece for you, yes? :|

so now,
> I have Sellmansberger tuba mouthpieces available at THREE basic price points: $150 (one size fits all), $200 (one cup, back-bore, and shank fit all, with your choice of ANY standard rim...or a bit more for a tall or coated rim), or $250 and up (the modular stainless steel mouthpieces that we've always offered). :shock:

The cup exterior is bright-polished, the shank is matte finished, and the cup interior is semi-bright-finished.

cool? 8)

you almost wrote:but bloke...What about offering something like this with the Solo, Imperial, and Orchestra Grand cups?

I wrote:nope. Not now. Again, this is our biggest selling combination of components, and - sizes-wise - shooting the middle-of-the-middle-of-the-middle, sticking our toes in the water and testing the "consumer-priced" tuba mouthpiece market. Possibly later...??, but likely: not. As a reminder, EVERYTHING is STILL AVAILABLE in 3-piece modular stainless steel.

me...??
I'm using one of these new pieces (the $120 silver plated brass Symphony cup/Symphony P shank) with a titanium gold-tone coated #2 Profundo rim on my own MW 5450...It's my own "custom" choice, and (had I been a consumer) would have saved me $50 on the cost of the mouthpiece...yes: REALLY. Please notice the "insertion marks" on the one pictured. I'm USING it. :arrow: :idea:

bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: Sellmansberger mouthpieces - NEW PRODUCTS (lower pricing

Postby T. J. Ricer » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:14 pm

Thank you for this option, Joe! I don’t know if it will turn into sales, but I will definitely recommend these to my students!
Thomas J. Ricer, DMA
Royal Hawaiian Band - University of Hawaii at Manoa - Yamaha Performing Artist

http://www.TJRicer.com

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." -John Lennon
T. J. Ricer
pro musician
pro musician

Postby bloke » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:15 pm

something UNDER-emphasized in the original post:

Sellmansberger #2 32.9mm (NEW SIZE) rims will NOW BE AVAILABLE - regular $80 rim price, unless the tall "PROFUNDO" option (which always costs a bit more), or the titanium-coated option (which also always costs more).

thanks.
bloke

Postby bloke » Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:17 pm

T. J. Ricer wrote:Thank you for this option, Joe! I don’t know if it will turn into sales, but I will definitely recommend these to my students!

Thanks for the kind remarks. I hope to make these (again: basically our biggest selling combo) more accessible to more people, regardless of what type of player they view themselves to be.
bloke

Postby greenbean » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:02 am

Hey, maybe ALL sponsors could put new product announcements here and then the Sponsor Forum could be eliminated!
-----
VMI/B&S 101 BBb
VMI/B&S 103 BBb
Mirafone 186 BBb
Olds Sousaphone
greenbean
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:16 am

whatever...
I wouldn't advertise a "sale" (temporary discounted pricing) or one-instrument-for-sale here.
It occurred to me, though, that - if I didn't put the prices of the two items - the point of the announcement (a lower-cost way to acquire our biggest-selling combo[s]) would simply generate someone asking, "OK then...How much?"
bloke

Postby Three Valves » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:46 am

Let me know when the $40 JP knock offs arrive. We can work out a deal for a special “Three Valves” edition!! :tuba:
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
TU25
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:57 am

Three Valves wrote:Let me know when the $40 JP knock offs arrive. We can work out a deal for a special “Three Valves” edition!! :tuba:

so far, only a Schilke Helleberg II/Laskey 30H style JP mpc. is in the works... $40...?? We'll see...??
:arrow: I'll announce when I have a batch of them to offer for sale, and the pricing.

bloke

Postby TheGoyWonder » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:02 pm

why the goofy shank size? will you also be selling receivers to go with??
TheGoyWonder
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:03 pm

TheGoyWonder wrote:why the goofy shank size? will you also be selling receivers to go with??

:)
similar size to several currently-made major manufacturers' mouthpieces' single (only-one-offered) shank size - with the obvious strategy (for $150: one mouthpiece/no options) being "small enough for american, and large enough for euro".
re-reminder: This same same combination of parts is available with the slightly smaller "American" shank size in three-piece stainless steel.
as posted in the original post: This is the ideal size for some Markneukirchen-made instruments - some MW/B&S (in my view, and likely others' views). I suspect (??) that this factory made those particular receivers for their instruments with the same strategy (will accept both american and euro shank sizes) in mind...and (well...) they used to have a close association with the owners of one of the mouthpiece manufacturers that has/had offered this in-between shank size as "what you get"...
...OK...and...well...I suppose...being made of silver plated brass, some thrifty-yet-demanding person could sand a couple of thousands of an inch from the shank surface down to "american".
:tuba:
bloke

Postby MikeMason » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:37 pm

When will the scientific acoustical analysis be available?(brass vs stainless)
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with heavyweight manatuska
Eastman 6/4 with Blokepiece symphony with profundo rim.
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:41 pm

MikeMason wrote:When will the scientific acoustical analysis be available?(brass vs stainless)

I've already made it: The result of my (scientific, peer-reviewed, certified, and degreed) analysis is "nil".

The advantage of stainless steel is in the durability of the finish of the playing surface of the rim.
Possibly, a secondary advantage is the durability of the shank exterior surface.
Even if mouthpiece vibrating not-at-all had some perceived-to-be wiffle-dust effect on acoustics, the weight and the density of typical stainless steel and typical brass is/are nearly the same, so...no.
bloke

Postby MikeMason » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:02 pm

Very anticlimactic
Pensacola Symphony
Troy University-adjunct tuba instructor
Yamaha yfb621 with heavyweight manatuska
Eastman 6/4 with Blokepiece symphony with profundo rim.
MikeMason
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:48 pm

MikeMason wrote:Very anticlimactic

Thank-you...(??)
bloke

Postby Mark Finley » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:51 pm

While not "cheap" this does make them easier to talk to my student parents as an upgrade mouthpiece. When a high schooler has a 4 year old Conn they paid $80 for, $150 for the next level is doable. $250 is sometimes an option, but not often
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher

Postby bort » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:35 pm

Why not a full 1 piece brass?

BTW, this is just a curiosity, not a knock on anything you've got here. A big thumbs up to the whole concept and execution. Just curious.

Maybe when I get my gear choices situated (finally... if ever...?), I'll order one of these.
B&S GR-41
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:01 am

bort wrote:Why not a full 1 piece brass?

BTW, this is just a curiosity, not a knock on anything you've got here. A big thumbs up to the whole concept and execution. Just curious.

Maybe when I get my gear choices situated (finally... if ever...?), I'll order one of these.

simple answer:
It bears my name, and (as explained in a previous response in this same thread) brass rims are inferior to nearly-equal-in-density-but-far-more-scratch-resistant stainless steel rims.
Silver or gold plated brass rims scratch extremely easily (very small scratches - that I can feel very soon after a mouthpiece having been manufactured - just as a result of normal handling, with even beard stubble, certainly, scratching silver or gold plated brass rims), and - after a few years...or after one boo-boo - require re-plating, which requires heavy polishing which distorts the rim shape.

For those who believe that stainless steel ruins a mouthpiece - and that material is really the only consideration, there are currently some silver plated brass tuba mouthpieces (and with a 5-STAR RATING!) on eBay for $9.99 - shipping included.

:arrow: https://www.ebay.com/itm/DN-Tuba-Bass-Horn-Mouthpiece-Silver-Plated-Musical-Instrument-Accessories/223452217544
bloke

Postby Three Valves » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:58 pm

MikeMason wrote:Very anticlimactic

Heh, heh...
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
TU25
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:01 pm

' sorry for the reactionary posts, but - from time-to-time - I receive 1 A.M. emails from (underwear-clad/microbrewery beer #3 in hand...??) experts lecturing me on how stainless steel mouthpieces (which do not require plating and with which oxidation is nearly non-observable...even after several years) can't possibly be as good as easy to scuff/chip/dent/scratch/.0004"-thickness-silver-coating-on-them brass mouthpieces.

The odd things about their instructive emails are these:
> They never send A/B soundfiles offering comparisons of them playing traits difficile (ou facile) with otherwise-identical brass/stainless steel mouthpieces.
> They never send A/B soundfiles offering comparisons of them playing traits difficile (ou facile) with not-at-all-the-same-interior-dimensions brass/stainless steel mouthpieces.
> They don't even send "A" soundfile.

Here's something else interesting: When my betters (those from whom I could learn a thing or two about playing, had I their dedication/abilities) purchase mouthpieces from me, they never bring up the topic of "brass vs. stainless steel".
bloke

Postby The Bone Ranger » Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:10 pm

Why the permanently bonded rim?

Andrew
Rudolf Meinl 3/4 CC
Many, many trombones
The Bone Ranger
bugler
bugler