tubas' weights, old guys, and bad backs Bookmark and Share

The bulk of the musical talk

Re: tubas' weights, old guys, and bad backs

Postby Radar » Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:50 pm

One of the bands I'm in rehearses in a high school and it's a long haul from the parking lot to the band room. What helps me in this case is I use a lightweight folding dolly, and a couple of bungee cords. It's easier on my back to roll the tuba up to the band room than carry it all that way.
Retired Army Reserve 98th Div. Band: Euphonium, Trombone, Tuba, Bass Guitar
Miraphone 186 CC
Conn 36K Sousaphone
Euphonium: Yamaha YEP-321 (modified with Euro-shank receiver with Lehman M mouthpiece)
Trombones:Yamaha 612 Bass, Conn 88H
Radar
3 valves
3 valves

Postby nworbekim » Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:24 pm

Casca Grossa wrote:Weight distribution is a big factor. A fifty pound bag of concrete could be carried in a way that is much more comfortable and causes less strain then maybe hauling around a shoulder strap gig bag and the various clutter that goes along with you that weighs half as much. Leverage is a factor too. I am a lifelong martial artist and a black belt in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Leverage is everything in that art. I could easily throw an opponent twice my weight if my technique is good. I can also put myself in the hospital with knee and back injuries throwing a person half my weight with less than perfect technique.

I blew the disk in my neck by picking up a 50 lb bag of dog food with my right arm and swung it up onto my left shoulder. I was outside in the yard and my wife was in the house... She heard my yelp. I can't bear weight on that side of my neck so the sousaphone, unless it's very light, is out.

I've sparred with the jiu jitsu guys... I've been dropped numerous times ;-) it's nearly always a surprise when it happens. You just don't really see it coming.
UNDER CONSTRUCTION
nworbekim
4 valves
4 valves

Location: I bought a farm in southern Kentucky near Lake Cumberland

Postby greenbean » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:16 am

I would love to be able to find 50-lb bags of concrete because - out here anyway - it is 60 lb or 80 lb. I have picked many 60-lb bags recently. I can handle that. I wouldn't dream of hauling those 80-lb bags.

After much back pain spread out over several decades, I finally put an end to it (?..) by getting into shape. Lots of "core" and overall strength training.

I also use gig bags when I can. My Mirafone 182 came in its original case. I think it was made by J Winter. A very nice case and not excessively heavy. But still, I bet it is 20-25 lb. I also have an old cordura RB bag that weights about 7-8 lb. It is a no-brainer.

I
-----
King & Yamaha bass trombones
B&S & Mirafone BBb tubas
greenbean
bugler
bugler

Postby bigtubby » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:55 pm

The ultimate old man tuba IMO. I worked in the trades enough to have some serious back problems at age 70, weight 14.8#

Absolutely great player but I don't think that the Chinese have cloned it yet.
American sailboats, airplanes, banjos, guitars and flutes ...
Italian motorcycles and cars ...
German cameras and tubas ...
Life is Good.
bigtubby
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:52 pm

8)
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator