186 Bookmark and Share

Postby bloke » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:05 pm

There's a young gent (40...??) who is everything I wish I was...in the way he lives his life...in the way he takes care of his son...and hey: I also wish I had his looks...He's a lady-killer. :shock:

...but there's one really unfortunate thing about him:
With a young son to raise, he lost his wonderful energetic life-embracing flute-playing unicycle-riding wife to cancer (her second fight) this year.

This is his 186 that he probably got in college. It was really beat up, the mouthpipe was rotted away, and the rest of if really needed cleaning. I told him to be on the lookout for a VINTAGE 186 C mouthpipe. He found one for a 4-valve that was made late enough (looks to be the smaller-bore mid-1970's style...the best-ever) to feature the same bend pattern as the five valve, YET have the narrower-bell-brace geometry. That mouthpipe is in GREAT shape, and I only had to remove two or three small dents from it. I'm also doing some signature bloke slide alignment. In the past, "slide-pulling" wasn't as much of a thing, and factory alignment (though it seems to still be hit-and-miss with many makers today) wasn't as carefully dialed in, so...

I messed up my back pretty bad a couple of days ago, which is something that never happens to me. I thought (when it seems like a really difficult thing to do, as I can barely stand up) that to work on this tuba right now would make me think (with my minuscule little back issue) of how heroic his wife had been during her two epic fights to survive. ' sure enough...once I started working on it, I forgot about my back...except when it reminded me of itself...and (in my tiny ways - vs. her monumental ways) I devised workarounds.

Considering his life circumstances (and regardless of whether he's well-funded), I'm charging him the same for this that any of you would charge - were you given the same opportunity. Pray for him and his son. His son is really lucky to have him, and they're looking after each other really well...He's a great man, and a fearless and optimistic man.

bloke
musician/technician/innovator

Re: 186

Postby The Big Ben » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:32 pm

Is he still playing it?
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:21 pm

The Big Ben wrote:Is he still playing it?

He’s an active fine amateur player. I’ve used him as a sub occasionally. In the meantime, he’s been playing his Yamaha 621F.
bloke

Postby iiipopes » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:39 pm

Bloke, indeed. I am glad he had you fix his horn so he can have the occasional break and recreation from all of his life responsibilities. You did the appropriate action in charging him your going rate; and I know you gave him his money's worth getting the horn back into playing condition. We all wish him the best.
"Bessophone" w/ 2-piece Imperial Blokepiece,
Lexan 32.6 Modified Helleberg rim & modified .080 extender
Wessex BR115 & B&H 3-valve comp w/ Wick Ultra SMB6
King Super 20 trumpet w/ Bach 3C/76
Fanned fret bass and electric guitars
iiipopes
Utility Infielder
Utility Infielder

Postby bloke » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:47 pm

iiipopes wrote:Bloke, indeed. I am glad he had you fix his horn so he can have the occasional break and recreation from all of his life responsibilities. You did the appropriate action in charging him your going rate; and I know you gave him his money's worth getting the horn back into playing condition. We all wish him the best.

Just to clarify...and I put this post away from the TubeNet forum - because I really didn't want to broadcast this - I charged nil on this one. Other than accepting employment from it (though I very much believe in something larger than myself, and that it is an infinite force for good), I no longer participate in organized religion...which (rather than weekly or seasonally-ceremonially) sorta puts me (alone, rather than corporately) constantly in charge of demonstrating that which I embrace. That having been said, this doesn't require (at least, in my view) that I avoid being blunt - or even coarse - when deemed appropriate.

Outside of being beat up and having a rotted-out mouthpipe, this is showing to be a very good (and pre-heavy-wall) 186 C. Nothing past the 'pipe is rotted, though it was certainly lime-coated...and I cleaned the dickens (chicken-shit?) out of it. I experimented with annealing TWO thicknesses of material (huge karate chop in the small side of the bottom bow) and through soft solder as well. It worked out (you can see in the picture where I will be polishing/re-lacquering), but I deem it to be as much trouble (on such a severe dent - an inch deep) as removing the bow...even on a Miraphone (as much trouble as these bows are to remove), so...
bloke

Postby The Big Ben » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:42 pm

Bloke is a good man.
The Big Ben
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:16 pm

The Big Ben wrote:Bloke is

Let's just cut it off there, at the point of existentialism.
I try to do good things (when I think of it - as I'm not particularly good) for good people.
We need to encourage them, so they will continue to model for the rest of us.
bloke

Postby Three Valves » Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:34 pm

Some one I admire a great deal, a former band director said recently, “have we been commanded to do good deeds, or commanded to compel others to do good deeds for us??”

That’s why I admire him a great deal.
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
RT50
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:44 pm

1. I'm pleased with the way this repair is turning out.
2. I'm pleased to do this for this person.
3. I probably shouldn't even be discussing this here. I don't believe we're supposed to discuss things such as these, but - simply - do them...but I thought it might be OK to stick it here (where a dozen people might seen it) vs. tuba/euphonium in fb (where far too many would see it)...but I felt excited enough about it that I wanted to express 1. and 2. to a few people.
bloke

Postby roughrider » Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:58 pm

Thank you for sharing it here. Posts like these shine a light into the darkness that surrounds us on a daily basis.
1930 King "Symphony" Recording Bass BBb
1916 Holton "Mammoth" Upright Bass BBb
1994 King 2341 Upright Bass BBb
Wedge H2 Solo mouthpieces
Stofer-Geib mouthpieces
roughrider
3 valves
3 valves

Postby Matt Good » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:18 am

1. Thanks for posting this.
2. I love those older Miraphone 186 tubas.
3. I still do not know why Miraphone stopped making those original mouthpipes. I hope that old mandrel still exists.
Matt Good
Principal Tuba
Dallas Symphony Orchestra
Matt Good
pro musician
pro musician

Postby Tubaryan12 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:21 am

bloke wrote:
The Big Ben wrote:Bloke is

Let's just cut it off there, at the point of existentialism.
I try to do good things (when I think of it - as I'm not particularly good) for good people.
We need to encourage them, so they will continue to model for the rest of us.

This.
Marzan BBb - 4 rotor, Blokepiece Imperial and Symphony
John Packer JP-274 euphonium, Wick 2AL
King 607F, Conn Remington (Connstelation)
Posting and You
Tubaryan12
6 valves
6 valves

Postby djwpe » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:43 am

bloke wrote:1. I'm pleased with the way this repair is turning out.
2. I'm pleased to do this for this person.
3. I probably shouldn't even be discussing this here. I don't believe we're supposed to discuss things such as these, but - simply - do them...but I thought it might be OK to stick it here (where a dozen people might seen it) vs. tuba/euphonium in fb (where far too many would see it)...but I felt excited enough about it that I wanted to express 1. and 2. to a few people.

8)

I’m proud to know you, Joe.
djwpe
bugler
bugler

Postby bloke » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:49 pm

That gold-tinted Nikolas rattle-can lacquer isn't far off from the darkened-by-age color of the horn. First (after polishing), I used a propane torch to make the (now: high-gloss) repaired area (on the side of the bottom bow) shiny-but-tarnished...then: the gold-tinted lacquer over it. Also, the residual heat from the propane torch allowed me to spray a really generous coating of lacquer (as rattle-can lacquer is really prone to running) with no runs.

I hit that lacquer (again) with the propane torch to quick-dry it. I'm posting this giving it ten minutes to (...well...a little bit...) cure. I'll head back out, shine of the parts of the mouthpipe tube that the buffing machine would reach, spray it, take another little break (my back really is messed up), and then put the valves/slides/etc. on the instrument.

I realigned slide #5 and took a dent out of one of the outside slide tubes...It now "flies". I'm going to check slide #1, align it (if needed) and call the thing "done"...

...well...one more detail: There's a subtle place on the large side of the bottom bow where I need to gently blend in some magnet work - on the U portion - into that "leg" (nearly imperceptible, but I can "perceive" it, so...). I'll do it with a rod a threaded bullet-end.
bloke

Postby bloke » Tue Jun 11, 2019 4:36 pm

prettied up, play-tested, and delivered.
His son is off visiting other relatives for a few days.
We had a nice 1-hr. sidewalk chat (9 PM - 10 PM).
He said he was going to play it for a while, and then go to bed.
8)
bloke

Postby Three Valves » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:19 pm

After picture??
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
RT50
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves

Postby bloke » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:56 pm

Three Valves wrote:After picture??

no...I hurried like Hades to get it finished, as we were headed into Murderphis for a monthly dinner-meeting thing that Mrs. bloke does
(can't let her go there by herself...' too dangerous)
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MemphisScots/

, and it was only four miles or so from the tuba-owner's home.

' good lookin' tuba, though.
I didn't scratch any lacquer (other than the area I intentionally burned via annealing - but that area was then re-lacquered and with some greenish-gold tint added to blend in with the 30-year-old lacquer), but the metal under than lacquer (where I used earth magnets and steel balls) sported that "pushed-back-out" appearance...much more so than with most other instruments.
bloke

Postby Three Valves » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:40 pm

If’n It isn’t Scottish...

https://youtu.be/bzG_J7RCGS0
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
RT50
Three Valves