FS -- Hirsbrunner BBb Bookmark and Share

Sell and buy equipment. Please clearly label either as SPONSOR, WTB, or For Sale. Will keep the WTB forum available until Sept 1, 2019.
Forum rules
This is for buying or selling your personal equipment (as well as Wanting To Buy), but sponsored selling is allowed as well. We are requiring all ads to have the following information. Price, (even for trades) Brand, Model, and location (for instruments, not accessories) need to be included in the ad, or at least be very clear in link provided. It is acceptable to link to an external ad if you are promoting a sale of your personal equipment. No Ebay Auctions, but Buy it now listings are fine. Photos are HIGHLY suggested as well. If you see an ad that does not meet these criteria, please report it.

FS -- Hirsbrunner BBb

Postby PRO » Fri May 17, 2019 2:51 pm

Early 1980's Hirsbrunner HB192 BBb 4-rotary in superb condition with only the most minimal signs of use. Bright silver plating is 100%. All slides pull smoothly. The valves are well-adjusted and nearly noiseless. Very resonant. Excellent intonation. Excellent low end and very open (not pinched) at the high end. Asking $8200 for a like-new instrument that is never in stock online.

IMG_2930 -- SMALL.jpg

Includes original hardshell case in average condition. Handle, hinges, and latches all good. The usual duct tape on the outside. The usual tearing of the inside liner where there has been contact with the valve mechanism. It has obviously done its job in protecting the horn.

Please see photos at
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n1v2sevekm21 ... YUsta?dl=0

Located in Hackettstown, NJ. Will ship to CONUS only via Greyhound only, as long as the buyer pays packing and shipping.

Please contact Paul at phone 908-850-1636 or email proscientific AT verizon DOT net. I do not PM.
Last edited by PRO on Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
PRO
bugler
bugler

Re: FS -- Hirsbrunner BBb

Postby highsierra » Sun May 19, 2019 12:06 pm

Beautiful!
Russ Dickman
Rudolf Meinl RM50 CC
Rudolf Meinl 4345 Rotary CC
Miraphone 283 "Norwegian Star"
http://www.renophil.com
highsierra
bugler
bugler

Postby fenne1ca » Mon May 27, 2019 4:36 pm

Bump for what is assuredly a quality horn. Paul is a delight to do business with, and a straight shooter with regards to the quality and condition of his for-sale horns. I recent bought a lovely York Monster Eb from him, and Paul made every aspect of buying and shipping the horn totally worry-free. If this horn is for you, you couldn't buy it from a nicer guy!
Chris Fenner
1918 Keefer Eb
191? Keefer BBb Helicon
fenne1ca
bugler
bugler

Postby PRO » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:05 am

Several interested parties have suggested I put a photo of the horn in the first posting of this thread. Done. Thank you all for the suggestion.

In accordance with TubeNet guidelines, the photo is small (150MB). For photos that you can enlarge for inspection, please see the DropBox link
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n1v2sevekm21 ... YUsta?dl=0
PRO
bugler
bugler

Postby hup_d_dup » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:07 am

I had the opportunity to play this horn yesterday. Very nice. Appearance is excellent for an instrument of its age. Response is uniform from low to high, including a good pedal Bb. Instrument is in tune with itself. Has some resistance but is not pinched. I wouldn't say the sound is dark or bright; somewhere in between. I prefer pistons, so this horn is not really my thing, but for a player who likes rotary and needs a 4/4 tuba, seems like a really excellent choice.

Hup
Facebook is your friend, your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend your friend
hup_d_dup
4 valves
4 valves

Postby bloke » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:21 am

The seemingly hastily-built copies of these offer great intonation.

Surely the real thing, then, must be outstanding.
bloke
musician/technician/innovator
musician/technician/innovator

Postby Michael Grant » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:38 am

One would be hard pressed to find a better BBb. Beautiful horns and this one looks to be in excellent shape.
Michael Grant
Tuba, Willson Eb
Wessex HB24 BBb Helicon
A couple of guitars
And someday, a banjo.
Michael Grant
bugler
bugler

Postby bort » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:23 pm

Michael Grant wrote:One would be hard pressed to find a better BBb. Beautiful horns and this one looks to be in excellent shape.

If this was in CC, it would have sold right away! This BBb looks great!
B&S GR-41
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby PRO » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:41 am

I felt extremely envervated beginning Sun 22 June. Was admitted to hospital on Friday the 29th with a serious case of pneumonia induced by legionella -- "Legionaires Disease". (Apparently north New Jersey is a "Legionaires" hotspot.) Discharged from hospital late afternoon Wednesday 03 July. Now home recuperating. Just turned on email this morning for the first time in 3 wks.

My apologies to the several people who emailed about the Hirsbrunner since 22 June. Will contact you as soon as I am able. Thank you for your patience. Paul.
PRO
bugler
bugler

Postby Doc » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:06 am

Get well, Paul.

Good luck with the sale. Wish I was purchasing instead of drooling...
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
Doc
6 valves
6 valves

Postby PRO » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:44 am

Hi Doc, Thanks for your well-wishes. Paul.
PRO
bugler
bugler

Postby bort » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:01 pm

+1 -- hope you are on the mend, and have a full recovery. Is the tuba sanitary/clean from your illness?
B&S GR-41
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby PRO » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:49 pm

Thanks, Bort. Good point.

On the one hand, I have not played the instrument since about the beginning of June, when I took it out of its case for lubrication; my incubation period started about June 15th. Second, legionella is not contagious.

On the other hand, always a good idea to flush out a new-to-you instrument. I always do, and something always comes out -- pens, pencils, dustballs, wads of paper, and (one time) a dead mouse. I'm sure some of us have seen worse.

Thanks again.
Paul.
PRO
bugler
bugler

Postby bort » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:35 pm

Good to know! :tuba:
B&S GR-41
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby PRO » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:08 pm

Happy to report that my physician says I am now cured of the legionella.

I already mentioned that I have not played the horn since very early June, well before I was exposed to the illness. Someone replied, “Good to know”. Several people point out that the phrase “Good to know” is often used sarcastically, or to indicate skepticism or disbelief. They kindly suggested that I take steps to prove that the horn is clean.

Accordingly, I spoke with a long-time friend who is a (retired) US Navy cardiologist. We discussed ways to kill legionella bacteria. He said the simplest and least expensive way is simply to raise their temperature above 60°C (140°F) for a few seconds. He referred me to several websites, of which the least technical is https://www.haspod.com/blog/health/legi ... emperature" target="_blank" target="_blank. He said chemical treatments that are used industrially (e.g., chlorine, propylene glycol, antiseptic soap, etc) require high concentrations, are expensive, and are less effective than boiling water.

Therefore, I first made tests that confirmed that boiling water would not damage the plating. Then I introduced water at near-boiling temp (205°F) through the leadpipe and throughout the bore. The water came out of the bell end at a temperature of 175°F. This process was repeated thrice. (There was indeed no damage to the plating. I relubricated the valves and slides with Hetman’s.)

I respectfully ask that people who respond to this (and any) post consider the effect of their comments and refrain from making gratuitous remarks.
PRO
bugler
bugler

Postby bort » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:45 pm

Paul, I apologize if my comment had some unintentional effects. I literally meant, that it was good to know that the horn is clean, and that it wouldn't have been contagious anyway.

In a time when so many people are so sarcastic all the time... I really didn't mean it like that, and just thought it was good news to have learned that. I'll try to be more careful about these things.

Two ending thoughts -- very glad you have recovered, and someone needs to buy this beautiful tuba!
B&S GR-41
bort
6 valves
6 valves

Postby PRO » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:50 pm

bort, Thank you very much. This beautiful tuba does deserve a loving new home. Paul.
PRO
bugler
bugler

Return to MarketPlace