Wessex Tubas - what would you like? Bookmark and Share

TubeNet Sponsors make TubeNet possible!

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Three Valves » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:59 am

I’d like the last six feet or so of the Lucerne made of fiberglass to get it under 20lbs.
Who needs four valves??

Mack Brass Artiste
MackBrunner 210L
TU25
User avatar
Three Valves
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 3634
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:44 am
Location: The Land of Pleasant Living

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Wyvern » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:55 am

Casca Grossa wrote:3/4 5 rotary CC

The TC337 just about to go into production
www.Wessex-Tubas.com
Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Opus@Wessex-Tubas.com
Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com
Technical Advice and Parts: Dacapo@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
User avatar
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
 
Posts: 4971
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Doc » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:31 pm

Casca Grossa wrote:3/4 5 rotary CC


Oh yeah!
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
User avatar
Doc
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 6805
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:09 am
Location: South Texas

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby cktuba » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:58 pm

Wyvern wrote:
KKORO wrote:I would like an "Anton" like tuba made "high grade."

There is a completely new high-grade rotary CC in development



Any more news on this? I'd love to see something similar in size to the MW Tuono, with bell shape similar to the BBb Kaiser.
User avatar
cktuba
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 2294
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:17 am
Location: A department store freeing a man trapped inside what I believe to be a "Martin Mammoth."

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Wyvern » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:42 pm

cktuba wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
KKORO wrote:I would like an "Anton" like tuba made "high grade."

There is a completely new high-grade rotary CC in development



Any more news on this? I'd love to see something similar in size to the MW Tuono, with bell shape similar to the BBb Kaiser.

That is one waiting in line for development. Won’t be before 2020
www.Wessex-Tubas.com
Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Opus@Wessex-Tubas.com
Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com
Technical Advice and Parts: Dacapo@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
User avatar
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
 
Posts: 4971
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Wyvern » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:46 pm

Three Valves wrote:I’d like the last six feet or so of the Lucerne made of fiberglass to get it under 20lbs.

That is actually been considered, but I prefer carbon fibre.
www.Wessex-Tubas.com
Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Opus@Wessex-Tubas.com
Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com
Technical Advice and Parts: Dacapo@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
User avatar
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
 
Posts: 4971
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby doddyhop » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:31 pm

A smaller York CC or Large 5/4 CC looking like a 5450 Thor or PT6 with York style tubing configuration.
True/Large 5/4 CC. Not Wyvern 5/4 ("4.5/4").
5 Rotary Kaiser CC similar to Melton 197/2
F tuba that is very large for an F tuba to which may feel a bit like a contrabass tuba
Other Keyed Bass Trumpet: C or Eb
doddyhop
bugler
bugler
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:12 am

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Wyvern » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:23 am

doddyhop wrote:A smaller York CC or Large 5/4 CC looking like a 5450 Thor or PT6 with York style tubing configuration.
True/Large 5/4 CC. Not Wyvern 5/4 ("4.5/4").
5 Rotary Kaiser CC similar to Melton 197/2
F tuba that is very large for an F tuba to which may feel a bit like a contrabass tuba
Other Keyed Bass Trumpet: C or Eb

You will be pleased that some of those are planned...
www.Wessex-Tubas.com
Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Opus@Wessex-Tubas.com
Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com
Technical Advice and Parts: Dacapo@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
User avatar
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
 
Posts: 4971
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Ace » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:52 pm

Glad to see that some consideration is being given to offering a keyed bass trumpet in C. I hope it includes 4 rotors and smooth-working triggers for tuning the third, first, and fourth valve slides.

Ace
Ace
5 valves
5 valves
 
Posts: 1235
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:46 am
Location: Berkeley, CA

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Tubaing » Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:41 pm

3 valve compensating student model tuba.

Compensating Double student model french horn.
Keep on Tubaing
User avatar
Tubaing
4 valves
4 valves
 
Posts: 512
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:39 pm

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Doc » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:57 am

Wyvern wrote:
Casca Grossa wrote:3/4 5 rotary CC

The TC337 just about to go into production


Is this going to be a German-style instrument, or American, hybrid, something else? Any details that you can share yet? Anything you can compare it to so we can have a general idea?

Thanks!
All that, plus $8.00, will get you a venti at Starbucks.
Or in my case, a large can of Folgers.
User avatar
Doc
6 valves
6 valves
 
Posts: 6805
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 11:09 am
Location: South Texas

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby DouglasJB » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:48 pm

Wyvern wrote:
doddyhop wrote:A smaller York CC or Large 5/4 CC looking like a 5450 Thor or PT6 with York style tubing configuration.
True/Large 5/4 CC. Not Wyvern 5/4 ("4.5/4").
5 Rotary Kaiser CC similar to Melton 197/2
F tuba that is very large for an F tuba to which may feel a bit like a contrabass tuba
Other Keyed Bass Trumpet: C or Eb

You will be pleased that some of those are planned...


I'm intrigued, when should we expect news about one or some of these?
Meinl Weston 2141 Eb tuba
DouglasJB
3 valves
3 valves
 
Posts: 469
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:47 pm

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Wyvern » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:25 pm

DouglasJB wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
doddyhop wrote:A smaller York CC or Large 5/4 CC looking like a 5450 Thor or PT6 with York style tubing configuration.
True/Large 5/4 CC. Not Wyvern 5/4 ("4.5/4").
5 Rotary Kaiser CC similar to Melton 197/2
F tuba that is very large for an F tuba to which may feel a bit like a contrabass tuba
Other Keyed Bass Trumpet: C or Eb

You will be pleased that some of those are planned...


I'm intrigued, when should we expect news about one or some of these?

The bass trumpet is soon. I hope early next year.
www.Wessex-Tubas.com
Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Opus@Wessex-Tubas.com
Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com
Technical Advice and Parts: Dacapo@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
User avatar
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
 
Posts: 4971
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Matthew Gilchrest » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:30 am

Any plans on a Wessex version of an improvement on the YFB-621 or YFB-821 style F tubas?
Returning to playing after a nearly 15 year hiatus...
Current Horn: Dillon/Walters/Conn CC
Past Horns: 186 (BBb), YCB-822, 188 (CC), YFB-621, VMI Neptune (piston), M-W 32, York Eb (3v, old and big), Besson 994, Holton/York/Miraphone 6/4 BBb Frankenhorn
User avatar
Matthew Gilchrest
4 valves
4 valves
 
Posts: 941
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 10:24 am
Location: Quahog, RI

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Wyvern » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:40 am

Matthew Gilchrest wrote:Any plans on a Wessex version of an improvement on the YFB-621 or YFB-821 style F tubas?

There will be front action version of the British F tuba which will be much better than the YFB-621. The new TF556 F tuba will be similar size to YFB-821
www.Wessex-Tubas.com
Customer Services & Chicago Showroom visits: Opus@Wessex-Tubas.com
Shipping & UK Showroom visits: Coda@Wessex-Tubas.com
Technical Advice and Parts: Dacapo@Wessex-Tubas.com

Visit our Facebook page
User avatar
Wyvern
Wessex Tubas
Wessex Tubas
 
Posts: 4971
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:00 pm
Location: Hampshire, England when not travelling around the world on Wessex business

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Tubameister » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:19 pm

A copy of a rotary Neptune
Tubameister
bugler
bugler
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:53 pm

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby tubadoctor » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:08 pm

Any plans in the works for a Norwegian Star Eb clone?
User avatar
tubadoctor
bugler
bugler
 
Posts: 126
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:40 am
Location: West Point, NY

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby Mark Finley » Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:09 pm

They tried that already
User avatar
Mark Finley
Low Brass Teacher
Low Brass Teacher
 
Posts: 5295
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 12:08 am
Location: Arlington TX

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby lowtones425 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:00 pm

I’d like to see a modernized Miraphone 186, with the main change being a vertical tuning slide like you’d find on a Rudy Meinl 3/4 or a PT6. Maybe also some adjustments to make the design more compact.
Eastman 6/4 CC - Canadian Brass Helleberg
Rudy Meinl 4/4 F - Breslmair F3
Olds BBb Sousaphone
(Username formerly mcvfifer)
lowtones425
bugler
bugler
 
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 7:59 pm

Re: Wessex Tubas - what would you like?

Postby UncleBeer » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:04 pm

lowtones425 wrote:I’d like to see a modernized Miraphone 186


I always wished for a more compact wrap of the 186, so that the bell didn't constitute 1/2 the height of the instrument.
User avatar
UncleBeer
pro musician
pro musician
 
Posts: 1514
Joined: Fri Mar 19, 2004 2:07 am

PreviousNext

Return to TubeNet Sponsors

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests